Smitty's Seven Reasons To Always Call Your Hits

The this and that of airsoft.
D.Smitty
I do in fact have a life.

Smitty's Seven Reasons To Always Call Your Hits

Post by D.Smitty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm

I've been meaning to post something about this for a while.  This is mostly for new players, but everybody should already be familiar with these concepts.  I don't take credit for any ideas here.  Indeed I looked around the internets for more ideas.
Gambler wrote:Getting hit doesn't mean you suck.  It means you are in the fight.
1) With the possible exception of me when I have my RPK, PEOPLE DO NOT SHOOT AT NOTHING.  If there are bbs hitting the branches and walls around you, people can see you!  This means that they will actually notice if you are not calling those hits, no matter how well-hidden you think you are.

2) At least 35% of Airsoft Players use some kind of optical zoom on their guns.  That may not seem like much, but combined with the fact that players always travel in groups (except snipers, which have a near-100% chance of zoom optics), it means that it's above even odds that an enemy player can see the bbs as they impact you.  You might think that the lucky shot that hit your shoulder is a secret between you and the Airsoft Gods. It is not, and it WILL make somebody mad.

3)  Hits to Gear count as kills!  This includes ghillie suits, hats, plate carriers, vests, and SWAT shields (unless you are playing a special game where exceptions are made).  If you are in ghillie and they are shooting at you, it means that your job as a sniper is effectively over, anyway.  Call yourself out as soon as you think you've been hit. NEW PLAYERS:  Learn the sound of bbs hitting your gear!  This will solve 90% of possible issues where you are being hit and you are pissing somebody off because you are not calling it.  It is very distinct and sounds different from bbs hitting branches, cover, and wood.  This brings me to my next point:

4) We are a close-knit group!  Every player is unique, and players who even sometimes do not call their hits are universally hated on both sides.  You might think that players on your side do not want you to call your hits so that they will have an extra gun at their side, but this is not the case.  I want fair players on both sides of my weapons.

5) Death is not the end!  The only time when getting hit counts as the end of your game are in short deathmatches that are usually less than 20 minutes, so use your death as a time to regroup.  Regrouping with other dead players at respawn to make a push at the place where you were killed is ALWAYS more effective than stubbornly holding an area all by yourself and waiting for reinforcements. It's also freaking satisfying to roll in on those guys that just killed you with 10 bloodthirsty friendlies. 

6) Kills are never the objective!  Game organizers know that if kills are the goal, then nobody would ever call their hits and nobody would ever get kills.  They make objectives like "hold this area"
Last edited by D.Smitty on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all started doing what we love somewhere...

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Re: Smitty’s Seven Reasons To Always Call Your Hits (Even those Lucky Long Shots)

Post by SteevoLS » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Bravo!
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Re: Smitty’s Seven Reasons To Always Call Your Hits (Even those Lucky Long Shots)

Post by Felix » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:27 pm

8 ) And once you call your hit, your team mates nearby can come (game rules permitting) medic you back into the game. Although you died, you had a chance to survey the field for at least 30 seconds and understand what is going on. Then you can be healed and jump right back into the fight with one less life and more info of the surroundings.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Gambler » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Very well written Smitty.  +1 for you. ;)
You name a game, I've been to it.

If I've banned you, then you have more than likely deserved it.

If I deleted a post it didn't need to be there or I simply didn't like it.

GARRETT

Post by GARRETT » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Very well said gentlemen.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Sticky for this one good sir!

He has a point, no one considers me an awesome player by any means, and fewer people listen to a thing I say, but everyone at least respects the fact that I call even the most unlikely of hits LOL!

9) Because I personally, along with the other Reps, DO NOT have a problem with kicking players out of games or banning them for intentional rule violations. If you get off by breaking the rules and not calling hits, and think you are clever, you will not play airsoft in this state for long!
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm

+1
Team United Front CO
Vet:
OP24-Two________________OP Blackout
OP Phantom Hawk_________OP Anaconda
TDC (Ga/SC#1)___________OP Just Cause
OP Irene IX TFR 3-1___OP Ranch Hand-Vietcong CO
_____________________OP SoCo (Ga/SC#2)
Carpe noctem
Proprium nocte
unitedfrontairsoft.com

Villid

Post by Villid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:14 pm

Heres a point that applies to this time of year:

We are all wearing extra layers during the winter, making it more difficult to feel the impact of the BB.  This needs to be kept in mind before freaking out over someone not calling the single shot that barely grazed their arm.
Carolina Border Wars 2010
OP:AoWL
Op:White Noise 2
Op:Banshee
Op:Blackwater 2
Fulda Gap 2011 - NATO

theboss62
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by theboss62 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 pm

very true. +1 smitty
Team AJAX
Arsenal- in the works
Fulda Gap 10**OPMantis**OP Viper**OP Phantom Hawk**OP Mantis II**OP Attrition**OP Banshee**TDC**
Dominum wrote: "We are chairsofting, but in a MilSim sort of way".

Clutch
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Clutch » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 am

One other small point to add. It seems that when one player doesn't call hits, it spreads. By the end of the game you hear "They're not calling so why should we?".  Or by the end of the day people are firing 10 round bursts instead of 3 round bursts to insure the target calls hit. It just degrades the game on so many levels.
AJAX Recon - OP: Domino - OP: The Assassination of a World Leader - OP: White Noise II - OP: 24 II -Villagers Revenge - OP: Strategies of War - OP: Phantom Hawk - OP: Attrition - OP: The Delimitation Conflict - OP: Elmer Fudd:The Wabbit Hunt - Op: Guardian - OP: Crisis In Dunundistan II - OP: Blackwater 2 - Fulda Gap 2011 - Turkey Hunt 2011 - SvG 2011 - Recondo Team Challenge

GARRETT

Post by GARRETT » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Well put Clutch. I have seen that happen at so many games, both here and out of state. Let's remember that while airsoft brings out the kid in all of us, we should remain mature and honest. How could one go home feeling good about taking out a squad of guys but knowing he got hit twice in the process and didn't call it.

Dunbarose
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Dunbarose » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Excellent post, Smitty.  It's frustrating as a new player to know that you hit someone and they didn't call it.

atl

Re: Smitty's Seven Reasons To Always Call Your Hits

Post by atl » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 pm

So what was the 7th reason?

idiot88

Post by idiot88 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:37 am

He intentionally left it out to bait someone to necropost it more than a year later.

shiloh190
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by shiloh190 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Sorry admins for bringing up a dead topic but I have to say call your hits because if you dont most players dont have a problem with shooting you a few more times.
Rice, rice, rice, oh look more rice!