What is a support gun?

The this and that of airsoft.
SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

What is a support gun?

Post by SteevoLS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:16 pm

There has been some confusion as of late on this subject. To clear that up, the AOSC only considers an airsoft gun to be a support weapon if it is considered a support weapon by a real life military. That is to say...
  • M249
  • Mk46
  • M240
  • M60/Mk43
  • Stoner LMG
  • BAR
  • MG36 (not a G36C with a C-mag!)
  • MG42/MG43 (rare, but they do exist)
  • RPK
  • PKM/RPD (also rare, but they do exist)
  • L86 LSW
At a standard paintsoft game feel free to run around with a box mag on an M4 or a C-mag on a G36, but don't expect to be allowed to do this at a milsim game. The reasoning behind this is to lend a significant advantage to players who are willing to haul around a 15-20lb weapon in the form of larger magazine capacity.

Rule of thumb: If it doesn't scream "machine gun" when you look at it, it isn't going to count as a SAW.
Last edited by SteevoLS on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: What is a support gun?

Post by UF_Jester » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm

What about an M-4 with a Shrike conversion on it? They are rare, but I know Team Banana down here have/had one.
Team United Front CO
Vet:
OP24-Two________________OP Blackout
OP Phantom Hawk_________OP Anaconda
TDC (Ga/SC#1)___________OP Just Cause
OP Irene IX TFR 3-1___OP Ranch Hand-Vietcong CO
_____________________OP SoCo (Ga/SC#2)
Carpe noctem
Proprium nocte
unitedfrontairsoft.com

D.Smitty
I do in fact have a life.

Post by D.Smitty » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:02 pm

UF_Jester wrote: What about an M-4 with a Shrike conversion on it? They are rare, but I know Team Banana down here have/had one.
[img width=785 height=562]http://www.dndguns.com/images/03a-shrike-006.jpg[/img]

While it's only my opinion, I would call this a travesty.  SOMEBODY sure is ready for the zombie apocalypse.
We all started doing what we love somewhere...

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

Yeah, they look butt-nasty. However, in the real world I suppose that would be a sort of support gun, hence my curiosity.
Team United Front CO
Vet:
OP24-Two________________OP Blackout
OP Phantom Hawk_________OP Anaconda
TDC (Ga/SC#1)___________OP Just Cause
OP Irene IX TFR 3-1___OP Ranch Hand-Vietcong CO
_____________________OP SoCo (Ga/SC#2)
Carpe noctem
Proprium nocte
unitedfrontairsoft.com

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 pm

A Shrike would be allowed, since it is a real-world support gun. I don't think it's actually been adopted by the military, but that's what it is intended for.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:16 pm

What if we were to make a sort of HK21 looking gun? Not just a G3 with a drum mag but actually try to make it look more like the HK21.
Hawaii 5-0
Echo1 Scar-L
Cyma M14
TM MP7 AEP
TM AK74/105

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 pm

This is very simple; if you've actually made a good replica of the support gun variant of a weapon, then it will likely count. As previously stated, anything not listed in the AOSC game rules is at the discretion of the Game Director Rep running that game.

For example, if somebody else can look at it and their first thought is "That's a HK21!", it's a HK21. In order to do that, you'd need the slim heat shield with an integrated bipod and appropriate barrel. On top of that, the HK21 is belt fed; you could make it look like a belt fed gun by taking a drum or C mag, making a shell out of plastic, adding a fake ammo belt, and running that in to the receiver. It would be a big project, but we would by all means reward somebody's efforts.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Ok cool. This is a project that I have been thinking about for a while.
Hawaii 5-0
Echo1 Scar-L
Cyma M14
TM MP7 AEP
TM AK74/105

Avenger

Post by Avenger » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:25 pm

OKay, I know that JG makes a loooonnngggg G36 with integrated bipod. Is this gun an MG36?
I do not always accidentally, but when I do, I accidentally the whole thing.

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 pm

AnthonyRey999 wrote:OKay, I know that JG makes a loooonnngggg G36 with integrated bipod. Is this gun an MG36?
With a C-Mag, yes, it counts. I had a friend get permission to use one as a support weapon at TDC last spring.

shiloh190
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by shiloh190 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Hope m not going to anger the mods by bringing up a dead topic but would a standard l85 with the drum mag be considered a support gun? If I'm not wrong the only difference between an l85 and the law version is the built in bipod
Rice, rice, rice, oh look more rice!

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:38 pm

The L86 LSW has a much longer barrel than the L85 or L86.

MarksInnerDemon
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by MarksInnerDemon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello guys finally back after 3 years of being all over the universe again. Here's the issue with support weapons in general.... Well airsoft and support weapons. A support weapon is a support weapon, and should be handled and treated like one, not another M-4 with a box magazine.

First the Russians for decades now have been downsizing the support weapons such as the RPK family. The RPK is a bigger longer/heavier barreled AK but designed for there "idea" of support rifle. I totally support there idea, and I also support that the marines are doing the same thing (if they do it properly) with the M27 IAR. The IAR is basically a heavier built 416 style weapon with bipod. It allows room clearing etc, and there has been word they are looking at the surefire mag5-60s or 100s. If that is the case then awesome, but the weight cutting they are talking about gets me nervous. However the Australian military, and British have been doing this and I am sure several other militarizes have turned to this as well since the US is about the last to pick up small arms ideas even if we invent the freaking things first.

Now what does this have to do with airsoft? If you are playing a milsim game, then honestly the difference of a weapon running a box mag or not is moot. It matters if the operator of the rifle treats it like a support weapon, and the amount per team/number of players that matters.

Just food for thought maybe knock out the requirement for the weapon system that is going out of date somewhat and go for a X support weapons (IE highcap mags) vs restricting types. I think the argument can be made both ways just thought I would point out the facts of whats going on with the world of support weapons.

MarksInnerDemon
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by MarksInnerDemon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Also on a side note i ran across this little gem from china which also shows the trend... maybe one day the US wont be a day late and a dollar short in small arms, luckily we usually lead every place else

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBB-95

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:23 am

This isn't a new trend, support weapons have been getting smaller and lighter for years now, but they are still distinctly different weapons. Even the support versions of assault rifles are clearly delineated from their non-support counterparts by the heavier barrel and beefed up internals meant to be able to withstand the increased heat and stress, and often have better means of cooling while obviously increasing their magazine capacity. An AEG modeled after an assault rifle with an added box mag is STILL not a support weapon; but an AEG modeled after a support weapon variant of an assault rifle is STILL a support weapon.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]