State of Airsoft

The this and that of airsoft.
BigMan23
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

State of Airsoft

Post by BigMan23 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey guys, what do you feel is the current state of airsoft here in SC? Where is the game going? What changes would you like to see made? What changes are being made? What do YOU feel is the "state of airsoft" so far this year?

atl
I do in fact have a life.

Re: State of Airsoft

Post by atl » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:02 pm

I think that the games are being run VERY well but I would like to see some more advertising to get the word out about the AOSC, heck I found out about the NCAO before this place.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:56 pm

1. Move to SC/become interested in airsoft
2. Google.com > "South Carolina airsoft"
3. First result...
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Echo1 Operator
Echo1 Rep
Echo1 Rep

Post by Echo1 Operator » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:40 am

ban hi cap magazines
Vet of: Redfox Feb. 19, TDC, Airfarm May 28, CID2, PWC 2, OP Blackwater 2, OP:24-3, Elite Squad Games, Op: Flash Heaven, 38th Parallel, OP: Second Sun, OP: SOCO, COB 2, OP: Ice Cubed, Airfarm Aug 4th, Fulda Gap 2012, Red fox Sep. 15, Red fox March 2, PBC March 30, TDC 2, Op: Comet Drop, PBC Aug. 8, Fulda Gap 2013, Redfox Nov. 23, Red fox Jan 18, Airfarm Feb 15OP: SOCO, COB 2, OP: Ice Cubed, Airfarm Aug 4th, Fulda Gap 2012,OP: Second Sun, OP: SOCO, COB 2,
TEH SCAA WILL RISE AGAIN

SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by SquadronROE » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:47 pm

atl wrote:I think that the games are being run VERY well but I would like to see some more advertising to get the word out about the AOSC, heck I found out about the NCAO before this place.
How would you advertise? This site is already the first result for "South Carolina Airsoft" on Google.

atl

Post by atl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Well we could put our name on the local airsoft stores's websites, that's how I found out about the ncao

atl

Post by atl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Radio ads to I would be more than willing to put in $30 into advertising on the radio if we could have at least 100 people put in at least $20 bucks that's $2000 put towards advertising on the radio which could buy a fare amount of time

atl

Post by atl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I don't pretend to be an expert at radio advertising so I don't know the ins and out of it all but i'm sure I could find out a lot . Also conservative radio would be a good place to use that money

SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by SquadronROE » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:04 pm

atl wrote:I don't pretend to be an expert at radio advertising so I don't know the ins and out of it all but i'm sure I could find out a lot . Also conservative radio would be a good place to use that money
Yeah... I wouldn't donate a dime if it went to conservative radio. I don't think we'd need to go to radio anyway, and the local store here (Ace Hardware) hands out fliers all the time. I think an easy thing to do would be to create a decent Airsoft flyer with this site on it, and maybe a little information about airsoft itself.

Then we could just print up a few hundred copies and plaster them in various places:
  • College activity boards
    Corporate activity boards
    Local hardware stores
    Local paintball stores
    Local paintball fields
We could get away with less than $50 total, if we designed it ourselves and found a cheap place to print it. All in all, though, the best bang for our buck is word of mouth. I know I've interested a few people in it by simply talking about it.

What "local" stores are there? The Ace Hardware doesn't seem to have a website and I don't know of any other local brick and mortar stores. It should be easy to get our name up on them though, if they exist. do we have an official banner?

Also, we could put an advertisement up on various sites like Airsoftforums.com, the Evike and AirsoftGI forums to make sure people know that this place exists.

atl

Post by atl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

local as in the most local to us mainly online

atl

Post by atl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 pm

and I said conservative radio because the audience of them is usually more the type that would play airsoft (men who usually support guns)

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Advertising may be a great idea but you are all forgetting how much time and money go into things such as props, field fees, chrono, and the other various things that have to be taken care of for us to even play. So I would suggest that if you wish to donate money do it for the cause of bettering the game so more money can be spent of props and such. As an increase in game likability and playability increase so does our advertising in the form of word of mouth. I would love to have out of state players come to our games and see how awsome our props and fields are then go and tell there friends and fellow airsfoters about it. Thus leading to a growth of airsoft in the state.
Veteran of:
OP: Second Sun OP: Iron Marches
OP: Phantom Hawk
OP: Phantom Hawk II
OP: Blackwater
TDC
SGC
OP: Vietnam Patrol
OP: Decisive Force

MarksInnerDemon
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by MarksInnerDemon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:11 am

Ok most people make flashy posters, and all this other crap. Two things that really drag people in is good copywriters (a properly done letter with a good headline) will bring in more interest then any flashy ninja cool ad. Hell sometimes those COD style ads run people away, but if you write it out and do it well people will read until there eyes fall out.

I also am not knocking AOSC, but two things. First AOSC seems to hold the high ground (mid upper state) while not getting as much attention down where the sc forum resides. That said the other SC forum primarily seems to be fed by Savannah, and other boarder regions. SC for all of our airsoft hasn't unified like NC, Pacific NW, Cali, etc and hell hasn't going for a more regional taste. That is probably the biggest issue we have, becuase the info and the forum is nice, but the whole fractured enviroment seems to be a bit of a hiddernce.

Just my 2 cents.

PRincess
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by PRincess » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 am

You all are missing out on the biggest social network around right now. Facebook has many great advertising opportunities that are free and can be opened up to the public. All someone has to do it put airsoft as a hobby in their profile and Facebook automatically matches them up with airsoft related thing. One of those things could be a link to the AOSC. Also, someone could create an event on Facebook for a game and make it public. Yet again Facebook will work it's magic and pop up for people with airsoft as a hobby. Airsoft in South Carolina is still growing and I don't think we are ready for mass media. We are still in the word of mouth phase and need to focus on getting good hardcore games with decent, sturdy props and awesome fields set up like Hotspur93 mentioned. The best thing we can do is continue telling our friends and offering to let them borrow a gun and roll with us for a day or two.
Pew pew pew... 'Murica

SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by SquadronROE » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 am

Hotspur93 wrote:Advertising may be a great idea but you are all forgetting how much time and money go into things such as props, field fees, chrono, and the other various things that have to be taken care of for us to even play. So I would suggest that if you wish to donate money do it for the cause of bettering the game so more money can be spent of props and such. As an increase in game likability and playability increase so does our advertising in the form of word of mouth. I would love to have out of state players come to our games and see how awsome our props and fields are then go and tell there friends and fellow airsfoters about it. Thus leading to a growth of airsoft in the state.
Yeah, any money I want to spend on Airsoft that's not on gear will be going to fields. Having quality, well-run fields with rental guns and stuff like that is a perfect way to help get people into Airsoft. I think things like rentals (in particular) will help eliminate the biggest hurdle people see when getting into it (equipment).
MarksInnerDemon wrote:Ok most people make flashy posters, and all this other crap. Two things that really drag people in is good copywriters (a properly done letter with a good headline) will bring in more interest then any flashy ninja cool ad. Hell sometimes those COD style ads run people away, but if you write it out and do it well people will read until there eyes fall out.
Makes sense to me. That's why I suggested putting together a decent forum ad. I'll work on the wording tonight and see if I can't throw something together that we can start plastering about on other forums and use in handouts.