What to Bring to a Game

The this and that of airsoft.
MCG
I do in fact have a life.

What to Bring to a Game

Post by MCG » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 am

I've been to quite a few games, and it seems like there's always someone talking about how they forgot something that they meant to bring with them. Plus I’ve seen new airsofters asking on the forums what they should bring to a game, so... I decided to share the checklist that I use before every game. There are some essential items, and some that are just handy to have along.

Essentials:

- A gun. If possible, a backup AEG and/or sidearm is advisable. Having to sit out the game because your gun crapped out is no fun.

- Ammo for that gun. I nearly left my BB's at home before Redfox last weekend... not cool.

- Batteries. Extra batteries are a good idea, junk happens. A car charger is good to have, but not necessary.

- Matching headwear and undershirts. The headwear is a no-brainer, but lots of players wear undershirts that don't match their camo faction. If it gets hot and you want to take off your blouse, you need your undershirt to match your camo.

- Eye/face protection. Most fields require full-seal, so bear that in mind. I usually bring my goggles and shemagh, plus a mesh mask just in case.

- Boots. I know lots of people show up in tennis shoes, but boots really are needed for this game. At the very least wear basic hiking boots, you need the ankle support.

- Dead rag. Lots of newer players and even some who have been around for a while do not carry these. Carry one. There are very few better ways to tick off the other team than to be dead but not show it. Carry what you want… red rags, orange shirts, pink panties… they all work.

- Water. This one is especially important during the summer. It’s a great idea to have a canteen or hydration pack, but at the very least have water at your car so you can re-hydrate during breaks.

- Food. Food isn't available at most fields, so it's a good idea to bring a lunch.

Non-essentials:

- Speed-loaders. If you use high caps you don't really need these, but mids and lows are a pain to load without them.

- Gas. Of course this only applies if you use a gas-powered gun.

- Camo is a good idea, though technically not required at games. If possible, both Alpha and Bravo colors… BDU’s and DCU’s are cheap.

- Extra socks and underwear. The first time you fall in the river at Saluda, you'll want them.

- Gloves. Not really essential, but they'll save you a lot of blisters and scratches.

- Gear. This isn't necessary if you just carry a few highcaps, but if you want to carry much of anything on your person in-game, you need it. There are countless different options available, ranging from basic LBV's to plate-carriers. If you can afford it, stay away from generic cross-draw vests and get something MOLLE based.

- Elbow and knee pads. These may seem a little uncomfortable at first, but after you get used to them, they'll save you a lot of grief.

- A mouthguard. Most fields allow minors to wear these with a shemagh, as opposed to wearing conventional FFP. It's really up to preference, but for $1.50, it's handy to have one along.

- Radios. You don't really need these at smaller games, but if you want to have any idea what's going on at an Op, you need them.

- Tape. I keep a roll of electrical tape in my tool box. You never know what you’ll need it for, but believe me, you will need it eventually. This brings us to the next item on the list…

- Tools. You don’t need anything fancy, just some basic hand tools. I bring a few screwdrivers and some allan wrenches.

I hope some of you find this useful, and if anyone wants to chime in with some more advice, go ahead!  :)
Last edited by MCG on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kill bodies and slay dragons.

Tzer1993

Re: What to Bring to a Game

Post by Tzer1993 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 am

- Rain-X if you choose to wear goggles instead of mesh(bad choice) :P

Esteban

Post by Esteban » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am

- A good attitude always appreciated!

I think you nailed down almost everything, Sam. I can't think of anything else.

KWA M16, KWA M4 RIS, KWA KP8 NS2, Echo 1 G3, Echo 1 P90, G&G MC-51, JG MC-51 RIS, UTG Trishot

Roger that! Tango Alpha Mango Salsa.

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm

I think this is great for a stickie. I would maybe re-organize it to must haves and good to haves. Just a suggestion.

MCG

Post by MCG » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:36 am

Mack wrote: I think this is great for a stickie. I would maybe re-organize it to must haves and good to haves. Just a suggestion.
Good idea. I don't have time to re-organize it now, but I'll try to get it done tonight.

Villid

Post by Villid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:14 pm

i wouldnt have minded if you forgot yoru ammo, i was on the wrong end of that SAW quite a few times saturday.
Carolina Border Wars 2010
OP:AoWL
Op:White Noise 2
Op:Banshee
Op:Blackwater 2
Fulda Gap 2011 - NATO

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Good job Sam, you get a sticky! 8)

Oh, and for the record, MCG doesn't just reccomend proper deadrags, they are a requirement at ALL AOSC games.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

MCG

Post by MCG » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Haha, I am truly honored, Henry. :P

Oh yeah... re-organized!

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Suggestion for additions to the list would be kneepads, elbowpads and mouthguards. While not essential they are good protective gear to have.

MCG

Post by MCG » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Mack wrote: Suggestion for additions to the list would be kneepads, elbowpads and mouthguards. While not essential they are good protective gear to have.
Good idea, I'll add those.

boga
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by boga » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:34 pm

good job man, this is so helpful for new or old players alike.

Mr. Marauder
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mr. Marauder » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am

Robin had posted up a really good "The night before" checklist.

http://www.sublimeserpent.com/air/checklist.pdf
[align=center]Image[/align]

[align=center]V[/align]

ak-47 user
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by ak-47 user » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:32 am

hey what type of radio do u suggest..
honey badger dont care!

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:48 am

If you can afford it, something like a Puxing PX777, PX888, or PX999.

If you can't spend the $60ish on one of those, then just pick some Midland radio off the wall at Walmart.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

ak-47 user
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by ak-47 user » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 am

yeah i cant agffored a $60 radio right now but is a Midland AVP-H3 Surveillance Headsets for GMRS/FRS Radios, Pair. good
honey badger dont care!