Elite Force M1911A1 C02 blowback

Head this way for reviews of gas-operated airsoft guns.
Avenger
I do in fact have a life.
I do in fact have a life.

Elite Force M1911A1 C02 blowback

Post by Avenger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:34 pm

[Insert cool picture here]

This is my first review, and hopefully I'll be doing a few more, so let me know how I did!

Real Steel History:
The M1911 is a single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, and recoil-operated handgun chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.[1] John M. Browning designed the firearm which was the standard-issue side arm for the United States armed forces from 1911 to 1985. The M1911 is still carried by some U.S. forces. It was widely used in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Its formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original Model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam era.[1] In total, the United States procured around 2.7 million M1911 and M1911A1 pistols in military contracts during its service life. The M1911 was replaced by the M9 pistol as the standard U.S. sidearm in the early 1990s.

The M1911 is the best-known of John Browning's designs to use the short recoil principle in its basic design. Besides the pistol being widely copied itself, this operating system rose to become the preeminent type of the 20th century and of nearly all modern centerfire pistols. It is popular with civilian shooters in competitive events such as USPSA, IDPA, International Practical Shooting Confederation, and Bullseye shooting. Compact variants are popular civilian concealed carry weapons, because of the design's inherent slim width and the power of the .45 ACP cartridge
From the Wikipedia entry on the M9111 pistol. found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

Fun facts:
The pistol has a threaded 14mm muzzle. I will be removing this from mine in the future, because I would never put a silencer on an M1911A1.

The pistol has a built in regulator to keep the power consistent. The owner at SS Airsoft told me it was more consistent than most green gas pistols.

The grips of the gun are incorrectly colored black, where the M1911A1 had brown wood grips. I plan to fabricate some custom grips.

The Elite Force trademarks are painted on and are pretty nasty. It also has the typical WARNING: NOT A TOY. DON'T POINT AT BLAH BLAH BLAH. painted on the slide, which ticked me off a little. When I figure out how to remove them, I'll let you guys know.

Functions:
The gun is blowback, with slightly more recoil than .22 pistols I've shot. the slide locks on empty, and gas usage seems good as it's C02. It's got the terrible molded on iron sights that we all know and love. The trigger is locked if the grip safety is not pushed and disengaged when the slide safety is on. The gun can be "half cocked" by cocking it and slooowly letting down the hammer. When half cocked, the hammer must be pulled completely back to fire.

Accuracy:
At 20 feet, I hit a 1 liter Mtn. Dew bottle 10/10. I strongly suspect that this gun will have a '20 MED, but the gun is extremely accurate.
The test was only at 20 feet because I only had a 16 foot tape measure on hand, so I measured that and estimated 4 more feet.

Construction
Full metal except for the grips, hopup and fiddly little o'rings. Seems very durable.

Pros:
C02 is super easy to get
Accurate
Full metal
Sturdy construction
Regulator to avoid FPS jumps with temparature rises

Cons:
Shoots a little too hot.
Grips are the wrong color and plasticky.
It might be too havy for some people. It's about two and a half pounds loaded.

I'll add pics ASAP. Thanks for reading!
I do not always accidentally, but when I do, I accidentally the whole thing.