I broke my gun!
3rd0ptik
I love forums!
I love forums!

KWA M4A1 w/ 160 spring. yikes???

Post by 3rd0ptik » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:52 am

Hey Dom or anyone that might know..

We stuck a 160 spring in the M4..

Problem.. at about 30 or 40 shots, fuze blows.. 11.1v Lipo Battery..

could it be that the motor cant handle this?? or does it need some high torque set up??

Is this to much spring for a stock KWA M4??

Any suggestions on making this work correctly??

And Garrett, you did the final look while I was crashed at DS4, what did you and Judd find out??

Were trying to make this gun a DMR.. also put a new bucking in, and have a Systema hopup not yet installed.. Any thoughts on the right barrel???

Any suggestions would be great, thank a bunch!

0ptik~

Tzer1993
I do in fact have a life.

Re: KWA M4A1 w/ 160 spring. yikes???

Post by Tzer1993 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 am

As far as the barrel goes I'm going to say what I believe Dom would say:
Prometheus Stainless Steel Tightbore

GARRETT

Post by GARRETT » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Hey 3rd I that spring is a 150. I honestly believe that the battery is just not large enough to pull it. The 11v lipo - was it charged fully when you ran it? The gear box is in fine health, and I found nothing even close to a bare or cut wire. So it would seem to be either the battery or the motor is just not strong enough.

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:09 pm

I am betting motor.  We just tried to push a 150 with a stock motor and it would not work, then we used a magnum motor with the same battery and it worked fine.

Check out evike they are running 15% off right now so you can get their motor for 30 something bucks shipped.

stuckmojo

Post by stuckmojo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:12 pm

well let me put my 2 cents in here.  from the research i have done on the systema drop ins, you do need a high torque motor but i'm sure dom will now exactly and he will probally recommend promethus barrel thats what he put in my g-3.  i dont believe its the battery the systema drop in only requires a 9.6 2500 mah or higher.  i would think its your motor but after all i'm still learning
YES I AM A TIGER STRIPE ELITEIST

Tzer1993

Post by Tzer1993 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:21 pm

But the gearbox in his m4 is stock KWA...however pretty much the same principal applies. Get a hardcore motor like what 82nd suggested and it should kick face

Billytehbob
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Billytehbob » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 pm

When you say 40-50 shots, are you saying continuous fire? or Single shots? If you're doing a long burst, you're probably putting too much load on you're wires. If the motor wasn't strong enough, it wouldn't pull the spring at all, if it's just single shots, then something has to be grounding. One alternative you can try is to go fuseless, but you probably don't want to until you find out whats causing your fuse to blow.

Oh, are you using a new LiPo, or one you haven't used in that gun before? May be that the LiPo itself has too much output.
What up?
Jeeps Wranglahs up in the mofo, haters gonna hate.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:49 pm

[mod]Not to be rude, but those of you giving advice with an obvious lack of knowledge concerning the matter should refrain from doing so in the future.[/mod]

Wow... OK, let's begin...
3rd0ptik wrote: Hey Dom or anyone that might know.. Next time, call me ;)

We stuck a 160 spring in the M4.. Well there's your problem right there! :P (  ;) )

Problem.. at about 30 or 40 shots, fuze blows.. 11.1v Lipo Battery.. You're lucky that happened, it saved you a lot more trouble.

could it be that the motor cant handle this?? or does it need some high torque set up?? That, and more...

Is this to much spring for a stock KWA M4?? Hell yes! For a LOT of reasons...

Any suggestions on making this work correctly?? Below

And Garrett, you did the final look while I was crashed at DS4, what did you and Judd find out??

Were trying to make this gun a DMR.. also put a new bucking in, and have a Systema hopup not yet installed.. Any thoughts on the right barrel??? Stainless Steel 6.03mm TBB

Any suggestions would be great, thank a bunch!

0ptik~
Alright, let me expound:

1: The battery is not the problem, that is plenty for a DMR setup (assuming it's high mah too?)

2: A stock KWA motor, in fact any stock motor, is NOT made to handle that much. If it hasn't already burned out, it will.

3: Almost NOTHING in that gearbox is going to survive long under those conditions. The shell is likely to crack, and is likely bowing, the gears will strip, the motor will burn out, the piston will strip, the cylinder head is likely to crack, the wiring may not be able to handle it, you will need a 30amp fuse, the pinion may strip, the piston head screw/mount may break, though since KWAs come with aluminum piston heads, it should at least survive.

4: You need a complete overhaul of the internals to be able to run that spring without a catastrophe. The reason it burned the fuse out is that the gears are standard ratio, and were drawing too much on the motor because they need to be high torque, the motor was in turn drawing too much on the battery and thus burnt the fuse out.

Stock Gearboxes are not made to withstand anything higher than an M120 at the most without failure in the near future in 99% of cases.

Did I miss anything?
Last edited by Dominum on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

3rd0ptik
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 3rd0ptik » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:26 pm

nah, sounds ok to me.. a few more notes to add..

30 or 40 shots.. semi auto then nothing.. not enough power to shoot.. hence dead battery at 30 or 40 single shots..

Motor.. hot.. real hot as in heat..

also, we cronod it at DS4.. 425fps.. does that sound normal??

thats that, thanks folks!!!

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:31 am

The motor nearly burned itself out, and was drawing so much it burned the fuse. Again, that motor cannot handle a spring that high. All the parts mentioned above need to be replaced with a counterpart made for extremely high power springs. It chronoed that low at DSIV because the chrono was messed up, in actuality it was shooting about 500-530 FPS with that spring. Please understand that you either have to remove the spring, or replace all the parts listed, or they will fail, some sooner than others, namely the piston, motor, and gears. Also, I forgot to add that the spring guide rod will fail if it's plastic (though I think KWAs come with metal ones), and you will need ball bearings on either the piston head or spring guide rod, preferably both.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]