Need some questions answered before i buy a VFC Scar H.

I broke my gun!
MrBlond
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Need some questions answered before i buy a VFC Scar H.

Post by MrBlond » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32613

I have never used a lipo. So excuse my ignorance and yes i read the stickied thread already. Is the gun after a tune up and a mosfet lipo ready? How necessary is a mosfet? What advantages do i get from using lipo batteries? Are most lipos wired small taimya?

Also would i be able to run this gun stock for a while until something happens or should i replace parts immediately? Would i need to change springs if a target fps of mine would be right under 400 fps maybe r-hopped?
Thanks in Advance.

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Re: Need some questions answered before i buy a VFC Scar H.

Post by Star_folder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Lipo ready is a marketing term that has no real value. Your gun is lipo ready even without a tune up or mosfet.

Mosfets are necessary for long term functionality, or in high performance builds. Many stock guns last years and years without a mosfet.

Lipo batteries vs Nimh/Nicd batteries. Lipo batteries are more powerful than a Nimh battery, they have more output, and are able to supply more raw energy than a Nimh battery. Lipos come in smaller packages. A 7.4v 2200mah lipo battery is smaller than an 8.4v 1100mah battery, the lipo is also much lighter weight than nimh batteries. Lipo batteries are a fraction of cost of Nimh batteries. Quality Nimh batteries often cost $25-$30, quality lipos cost $10-$15. Because of the chemical make up, a 2000mah lipo battery will last longer, and will have a more consistent power output over it's charge than a 2000mah nimh battery.

tl;dr Lipo batteries are 100% advantageous over traditional Nimh batteries.

The lipos sold to the airsoft market, yes, usually have small Tamiya connectors. But most lipo batteries do not, and you'll need to wire them on.

Yes, you can run your gun stock just fine, it should last you a good long while in it's stock form. If your target is 400fps with .25s, then no, you wouldn't need to change the spring. However, if you are shooting for a 400fps with .20s, then yes, you will most likely need to change the spring in the gun.

R-hop has little effect on the fps of a gun, but it is a great upgrade for range and accuracy.
[align=center]Image[/align]

Skywalker
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Skywalker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice choice of gun 8)

Personal opinion; you would be better off buying a used Scar for less than that listed price (could probably find one of for sale forums for ~250), and use the money you save to fund upgrades (if you are considering replacing internal parts anyway).

Not sure if you were just using the evike link for reference, or if you were planning on purchasing from there.
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Frost
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Frost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:31 pm

The big worry w/ running lipos in stock guns is frying your trigger contacts by the arcing and surge of power from the lipo. You can run a 7.4v lipo all day on a stock gun no mosfet needed. If you wanted to run 11.v lipo w/ out a mosfet eventually you will fry your trigger contacts but it should last you a while. As for the vfc scar h. VFC is one of the best airsoft gun makers on the market. I've owned g&gs, a&ks, cyma, jg and played with g&ps. VFC by far felt better and had alot nicer internals. The g&p externals were about the same but the VFC internals were superior.
|VFC M4 "Dirty Harry"|
---------------------------TEAM RAPTORS-----------------------------------------
And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

Stomper87
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Stomper87 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Frost wrote:and the G&P internals were superior.
Fixed it for ya ;D
P* Ares Tar21
P* PTS Masada
Magpul KWA lm4
KA Galil SAR
G&G UMP
G&P ak47
CA mp5a4

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:50 pm

VFC internals are superior.

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm

The compression components are superior in the VFC. The piston head is strong, and well built. The G&P Piston head is weak. Both gun's pistons are weak. The steel bushings in the VFC are epoxied in place, the bearings in G&P are good, but are still bearings and are more likely to fail than the VFC Bushings. The VFC gearbox does not have useless weight and filling in the back of the gearbox. The VFC Spring guide is a bearing spring guide. The VFC's gears are strong, despite their auto shimming features. They will easily stand up to the stock gun. The G&P gears have been known to have axle issues for years now. The wiring in the G&P is superior, along with the deans. Both motors are comparable, both are speed motors. VFC's inner barrel is higher quality than the G&P. The G&P has a metal hop up chamber. Buckings are both comparable.

While both are very high quality guns, both have issues. As both a stock gun, and an upgrading platform, I'd rather have a VFC over a G&P.

Frost
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Frost » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Star_folder wrote:The compression components are superior in the VFC. The piston head is strong, and well built. The G&P Piston head is weak. Both gun's pistons are weak. The steel bushings in the VFC are epoxied in place, the bearings in G&P are good, but are still bearings and are more likely to fail than the VFC Bushings. The VFC gearbox does not have useless weight and filling in the back of the gearbox. The VFC Spring guide is a bearing spring guide. The VFC's gears are strong, despite their auto shimming features. They will easily stand up to the stock gun. The G&P gears have been known to have axle issues for years now. The wiring in the G&P is superior, along with the deans. Both motors are comparable, both are speed motors. VFC's inner barrel is higher quality than the G&P. The G&P has a metal hop up chamber. Buckings are both comparable.

While both are very high quality guns, both have issues. As both a stock gun, and an upgrading platform, I'd rather have a VFC over a G&P.
Well said star appreciate the you backing me. Vfc for the win. Seriously though ur either going to pay the same or less for vfc but get a better gun. All this to say that a vfc scar is a good, solid, reliable gun.
|VFC M4 "Dirty Harry"|
---------------------------TEAM RAPTORS-----------------------------------------
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:08 pm

Marui all the way!

Stomper87
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Stomper87 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Yes, VFC has nicer internals for the most part, but their pistons are complete garbage. You can't expect a vfc to last very long without it breaking down. My G&P m4 has handled an 11.1 for many months now, whereas both my vfc scar and m4 have failed from a 7.4. After opening up all 3, I will say vfc is impressive, but until they fix their piston problems, I will be a G&P fan
P* Ares Tar21
P* PTS Masada
Magpul KWA lm4
KA Galil SAR
G&G UMP
G&P ak47
CA mp5a4

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Let's be real though... all of the people in this debate just replace all the internals of their gun when they buy it, right? I know I'm not the only one
Last edited by Skywalker on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frost
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Frost » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 pm

i open up all my guns. In my opinion every gun needs to have aoe corrected and shimmed at the minimum.
|VFC M4 "Dirty Harry"|

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:31 pm

I know this is a necro, but I just had to get this in there:

The "VFC pistons are crap" line comes from the back tooth being knocked off when the AoE is not corrected, or the uptake is too fast and with too much torque. Yes, there is no lateral reinforcement for the rear tooth, so VFC pistons are by no means ideal. However, they are not crap. SteevoLS ran thousands and thousands of rounds at ~25 RPS on an M130 for many months before it finally broke, he didn't have a high torque motor in it, and he corrected the AoE. I did the same on an M120, and it never broke, though I'm not sure what happened to it after I sold it.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm

We are not speaking of the pick up tooth. I've actually not seen one fail yet in a stock VFC. What does fail is the release tooth, the metal caves in. I've seen it in quite a few VFC's at this point, enough that it is certainly an issue.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Fair point, but I still wouldn't call them crap.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]