3D Printing Parts

I broke my gun!
Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

3D Printing Parts

Post by Hotspur93 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:19 am

Hi guys! So I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the community on an idea I had. So with the recent revolution in 3D printing, making it much more affordable for many in home hobbyists I started to think of the applications I could use it for. My primary thought was about making replacement parts for my airsoft guns. The parts however would be obviously plastic, but many hard to find or discontinued parts that people are looking for tend to be made of plastic. Now what I'm looking for from you guys is for feedback from those who have had experience with 3D printing and CAD modeling. I want to know how possible you guys think it would be to do something like this. I have done google searches and found some interesting things on airsoft and 3D printing coming together, but what does the SC airsoft community think about it?
Veteran of:
OP: Second Sun OP: Iron Marches
OP: Phantom Hawk
OP: Phantom Hawk II
OP: Blackwater
TDC
SGC
OP: Vietnam Patrol
OP: Decisive Force

Skywalker
I do in fact have a life.

Re: 3D Printing Parts

Post by Skywalker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:24 am

I've thought about it, as I have access to a 3D printer. But I haven't come up with something I want to spent the time to model and make that I can't simply purchase or even purchase and modify to get the same result.
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:58 am

Well I was thinking of hard to find parts. Right now I'm looking for a Blow back nozzle for a KSC 1911A1 its an older model GBB and not many parts are avaliable for it. I know KSC and KWA parts are very similar but I can already tell you the KWA equivalent doesn't fit cause i tried. So my thought process was what if I could make it instead. Again what if someone needs a plastic part for a KWA glock. Since those parts are discontinued they are hard to find so it would almost be worth modeling them.
Veteran of:
OP: Second Sun OP: Iron Marches
OP: Phantom Hawk
OP: Phantom Hawk II
OP: Blackwater
TDC
SGC
OP: Vietnam Patrol
OP: Decisive Force

specter

Post by specter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:14 pm

I'd be in the market for an air nozzle that world work in my marui AEP.
>Implying I'm not going to just shoot you in the face

Doublewolf

Post by Doublewolf » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:43 pm

There are 3-d printers that print in metal, and the patent is about to expire. You'd need a printer with good resolution, but the possibilities are endless.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:27 pm

The possibilities are, in fact, quite limited. You would not be able to produce a part from homeowner level metal sintering or extruded plastic that would have anywhere near the resolution or smoothness to function well as something like an air nozzle. Parts like that are best reproduced with a lathe and mill.

What you could 3D print would be things like vertical grips, handguards, custom stocks, etc but they will take FOREVER to make and will not be very easy on the eyes without a lot of finishing work.
There's no kill switch on awesome!