FPS and Joule Converter

I broke my gun!
Pyrus_Conflagarus
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Re: FPS and Joule Converter

Post by Pyrus_Conflagarus » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:58 am

Ok, maybe I should have been a little more specific. The debate itself hinged on whether muzzle velocity and/or range would be affected buy changes in air density due to altitude (this whole debate spring up due to a group whose usual venue is at about 9k ft going to OP Irene).  It was concluded that range would not be affected because yes, at lower altitudes you would have a higher air mass in the cylinder kicking out the BB, but the BB would then be traveling through higher density air and thus the air would attenuate the kinetic energy more.  However the muzzle velocity should be raised due to a higher mass of air being forced out (assuming the effect on the piston's compression rate is negligible).
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased."--Spider Robinson
Fear is the mind-killer
Blog: Sane Rantings of a Madman
[Stealth]-[Bloody BB]-[Dedicated]-[Destroyer of Worlds]-[Customizer]-[Tactical Reloader]-
[Discard After Use-3x]-[Mule]-[Chairsofter]-[Dance F**ker! Dance!]-[1 of 300]

Doublewolf
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Doublewolf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:18 pm

I did doubt that the chronograph could accurately measure the actual energy of the bb. Now that it has been confirmed that that is not possible, what about a conversion chart? Most of us are honest people, and you already have to take people's word for the fact that they are using .2s anyway (unless bbs are provided, which they aren't always). It would be easier if everybody could chrono with the bbs they will be using on the field.

Veimos
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Veimos » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:46 pm

Doublewolf wrote: I did doubt that the chronograph could accurately measure the actual energy of the bb. Now that it has been confirmed that that is not possible, what about a conversion chart? Most of us are honest people, and you already have to take people's word for the fact that they are using .2s anyway (unless bbs are provided, which they aren't always). It would be easier if everybody could chrono with the bbs they will be using on the field.
Out of 4 sanctioned AOSC games that I have been to, only 1 has required me to have .20's loaded in my weapon.  Usually they just ask you what gram of bb you are using, and use the basic guideline I posted earlier.  So BASICALLY your idea is already in play, in an unofficial capacity.
OP: Domino(RF)
OP: The Assassination of a World Leader (AF)
OP: OP24 II -Villagers Revenge(AF)
OP: Strategies of War (RF)
OP: Attrition (AF) (Co)

D.Smitty

Post by D.Smitty » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:02 am

Doublewolf wrote: I did doubt that the chronograph could accurately measure the actual energy of the bb. Now that it has been confirmed that that is not possible, what about a conversion chart?
Already done.  It's a bit ghetto, as I did it in excel and just used the print screen key, but it functions just fine, I think.

http://www.southcarolinaairsoft.com/forums/http://www.southcarolinaairsoft.com/newforums/viewtopic.php?t=9
We all started doing what we love somewhere...

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Doublewolf wrote: I did doubt that the chronograph could accurately measure the actual energy of the bb. Now that it has been confirmed that that is not possible, what about a conversion chart? Most of us are honest people, and you already have to take people's word for the fact that they are using .2s anyway (unless bbs are provided, which they aren't always). It would be easier if everybody could chrono with the bbs they will be using on the field.
This issue has already been remedied because the AOSC now provides mags and speedloaders with .20s in them for chrono at its events.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

slimshady222
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by slimshady222 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 am

can chrono's mesure in joule's
''The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the enemy die for his''

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:57 pm

It's not really possible to measure joules based on FPS alone. A few chronos will calculate it if you tell it what weight your BBs are but it is only accurate as long as you input the correct weight.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

slimshady222
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by slimshady222 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:19 pm

cause in france minors cant have guns above .08 joules but I highly doubt that they even listen to those rules.
''The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the enemy die for his''

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Those are actual laws, not organization-specific rules like the AOSC sets forth. It would be considered a criminal offense to A. sell you a gun over .8j, or B. use a gun over .8j as a minor.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

jsts ghost
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by jsts ghost » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Slim, you will find that the french has zero excuse for Americans. You must follow all there rules. So make sure that you read up on them. G.I. Joe plug, Knowing is half the battle! Using the knewledge is the other half.

The only way to be 100% about measurment of joule is to have an impact measuring. As the ones that have studied it has told you, chronos only give a programmed mesurement of speed times mass divided by distance. A bb does not acheve (sp) max speed until 1 inch out of the inner barrel. And Joule is maxed at the inner barrel opening. So no, our handheld chronos gives an educated guess.

slimshady222
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by slimshady222 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:15 pm

I dont think they really follow those rules there though because we had a friend over from france and he said the cops dont really care that much about those litttle ofenses as much as like stealing. He said that if cops drive past minors drinking they dont even stop to tell them to stop. Same goes with smoking

jsts ghost
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by jsts ghost » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Well there are two types of people; those that care about law and order and those that don't. The latter need not be around me.

PRincess
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by PRincess » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 pm

jsts ghost wrote:Well there are two types of people; those that care about law and order and those that don't. The latter need not be around me.
Amen to that! Go ahead and break the law, but don't come crying back to us when you get in serious trouble.
Pew pew pew... 'Murica

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 am

hmmmmm, I'm thinking stuff has changed since you've talked to your friend. It's likely you won't be able to bring your airsoft guns into France. Cybergun has pulled a rather crappy stunt by copy writing anything and everything airsoft. And by that I mean they have the terms Hop-Up, AEG, Airsoft, etc. You can't buy, or own, anything airsoft gun that doesn't have cybergun tattooed on the side of the gun.

You might want to double check on that, but from what I understand, you'll not be able to bring your guns into the country if they see them. There've been a whole bunch of articles to show up lately about French Airsofters trying to fight Cybergun for what they have done.
[align=center]Image[/align]

atl

Post by atl » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:06 pm

This is what I found on Wikipedia and a few other sites while looking around
Visible transportation of replica firearms in public areas is forbidden. They must be covered with something, for example, a firearm case. Land owner's permission is needed to play airsoft in any area.
Minors (under 18) can only buy airsoft guns which are under 0.08 joules in power. Minors can not use guns over these 0.08J. Airsoft guns may only have a power under two joules (450 fps whis 0,2g bb's), otherwise they are no more qualified as airsoft replicas but firearms and owners should follow the French weapons law (dated 1995).