How to put together a competitive Airsoft team?

Names and faces of the A.O.S.C. teams
Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

How to put together a competitive Airsoft team?

Post by Madd Dawg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 am

So, my best friend and I just decided to work towards getting competitive, and we want to put together a team. We've played around a bit with some friends, don't think any of them have a gun that costs more than $75, (mostly Crossman) and I know we need to get better guns. How many people are allowed in a team? How would we choose a team leader? Would they be the best airsofter or the best strategic planner? Is there a minimum age? (Most of us are below 15) Are there any other big choices or something that I would need to know about?
I was born with the Safety off.

specter
I do in fact have a life.

Re: How to put together a competitive Airsoft team?

Post by specter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:44 am

Madd Dawg wrote:So, my best friend and I just decided to work towards getting competitive, and we want to put together a team. We've played around a bit with some friends, don't think any of them have a gun that costs more than $75, (mostly Crossman) and I know we need to get better guns. How many people are allowed in a team? How would we choose a team leader? Would they be the best airsofter or the best strategic planner? Is there a minimum age? (Most of us are below 15) Are there any other big choices or something that I would need to know about?
First off, almost nobody in the aosc has much more than a crosman or JG, so the guns arefine. Most of us here are also 13-17 so the age is good. We have a rule where there canoonly be 5 people in a team and usually team leaders are chosen by drawing straws. And since most peoples guns don't shoot far, usually rushing somebody head on guns ablaze is the best way to take a base. But only have like 2 people rush at a time. It saves on guys so they don't all die or get dehydrated. I hope I help :3
>Implying I'm not going to just shoot you in the face

BaldEagle
Gold Team
Gold Team

Post by BaldEagle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:32 am

specter wrote:
Madd Dawg wrote:So, my best friend and I just decided to work towards getting competitive, and we want to put together a team. We've played around a bit with some friends, don't think any of them have a gun that costs more than $75, (mostly Crossman) and I know we need to get better guns. How many people are allowed in a team? How would we choose a team leader? Would they be the best airsofter or the best strategic planner? Is there a minimum age? (Most of us are below 15) Are there any other big choices or something that I would need to know about?
First off, almost nobody in the aosc has much more than a crosman or JG, so the guns arefine. Most of us here are also 13-17 so the age is good. We have a rule where there canoonly be 5 people in a team and usually team leaders are chosen by drawing straws. And since most peoples guns don't shoot far, usually rushing somebody head on guns ablaze is the best way to take a base. But only have like 2 people rush at a time. It saves on guys so they don't all die or get dehydrated. I hope I help :3
Some quick simple answers.
First and most important: Specter LIES! (for the most part)
2. How many people are allowed in a team? A-As many as you would like
3. How would we choose a team leader? Would they be the best airsofter or the best strategic planner? A-You decide that. There is no rule or preferred sequence.
4. Is there a minimum age? (Most of us are below 15)
A-from the AOSC Rules, found at the beginning of this thread...
Rule #10: Age Requirements:
0-14yrs Parent or Guardian must be within sight at all times either playing or in the field as a noncom with a deadrag and eyepro.
15-17yrs An adult (age 18+) must be present to claim responsibility for them, they do not have to be related.
18+yrs None.
Eye protection requirements:
0-14yrs Must have a full facemask.
15-17yrs Must have a facemask or full seal eye protection with a mouthguard or shemagh.
18+yrs Must have ANSI rated eye protection.
5. Are there any other big choices or something that I would need to know about? A-Probably. Read through the rules again. When you have a question or think of something, search the archives. Most of your concerns/questions have probably been previously answered. Ask questions like you have but be prepared for some sarcasm from certain players. Mostly, I would recommend that you and your buddy come out to a game and see what is going on. At this time of the year, skirmishes are preferred because of the heat. In between games, ask other players about any concerns you have. There's a non-AOSC game at my field (SQA) this weekend and there is an AOSC game next weekend at "Rattlesnake Ridge". Both games are skirmish type days. If you can, come to one of them, or both.
Hope that helps.
* Airsofter *

specter

Post by specter » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

BaldEagle wrote:
specter wrote:
Some quick simple answers.
First and most important: Specter LIES! (for the most part)
2. How many people are allowed in a team? A-As many as you would like
3. How would we choose a team leader? Would they be the best airsofter or the best strategic planner? A-You decide that. There is no rule or preferred sequence.
4. Is there a minimum age? (Most of us are below 15)
A-from the AOSC Rules, found at the beginning of this thread...
Rule #10: Age Requirements:
0-14yrs Parent or Guardian must be within sight at all times either playing or in the field as a noncom with a deadrag and eyepro.
15-17yrs An adult (age 18+) must be present to claim responsibility for them, they do not have to be related.
18+yrs None.
Eye protection requirements:
0-14yrs Must have a full facemask.
15-17yrs Must have a facemask or full seal eye protection with a mouthguard or shemagh.
18+yrs Must have ANSI rated eye protection.
5. Are there any other big choices or something that I would need to know about? A-Probably. Read through the rules again. When you have a question or think of something, search the archives. Most of your concerns/questions have probably been previously answered. Ask questions like you have but be prepared for some sarcasm from certain players. Mostly, I would recommend that you and your buddy come out to a game and see what is going on. At this time of the year, skirmishes are preferred because of the heat. In between games, ask other players about any concerns you have. There's a non-AOSC game at my field (SQA) this weekend and there is an AOSC game next weekend at "Rattlesnake Ridge". Both games are skirmish type days. If you can, come to one of them, or both.
Hope that helps.
This guy knows his stuff.

Anyway, just head out to a game and see what it's like. If you can, try out red fox. If your guns don't perform all that well, the more urban setup of the field would allow you to be more effective. Just to give you fair warning, some people's guns cost upwards of $1,500 and will usually destroy anything in range. Just play smart and you should be good. Anyway, it's been too long since we got new blood in the sport. I hope you guys decide to stick around for a while.

Doublewolf

Post by Doublewolf » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Firstly, don't type in red, please.

There are no rules regulating teams; teams generally play together as squads in larger teams. The best way to choose a leader is probably by voting, but you could also just start playing together and a leader will most likely emerge from the group.

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:58 pm

Doublewolf wrote:Firstly, don't type in red, please..
Any particular reason why? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just curious.

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm

specter wrote:Anyway, just head out to a game and see what it's like. If you can, try out red fox. If your guns don't perform all that well, the more urban setup of the field would allow you to be more effective. Just to give you fair warning, some people's guns cost upwards of $1,500 and will usually destroy anything in range. Just play smart and you should be good. Anyway, it's been too long since we got new blood in the sport. I hope you guys decide to stick around for a while.
I'm assuming Red Fox is an airsoft playing field, (is that what they're technically called?) how much does it cost to go and play? What is a "good" gun? I've got my eye on this shotgun, (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AR-SOFT-M490L.htm) but I'd like to get someone good's opinion on it.

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Madd Dawg wrote:
Doublewolf wrote:Firstly, don't type in red, please..
Any particular reason why? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just curious.
It just hurts the eyes.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

idiot88

Post by idiot88 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Do not get a shotgun for your first gun. Save your money and get an electric gun such as the G&G Combat Machine M4.
https://www.google.com/search?q=g%26g+m ... IE-Address

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 pm

idiot88 wrote:Do not get a shotgun for your first gun. Save your money and get an electric gun such as the G&G Combat Machine M4.
https://www.google.com/search?q=g%26g+m ... IE-Address
I actually have a shotgun already,it's not multi shot though, it's a Crosman Stinger or something. I love it.

Doublewolf

Post by Doublewolf » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:17 am

That shotgun is an alright backup gun, but an AEG is probably the best option. There are plenty of AEGs that are not too expensive but can be competitive. Many people like Combat Machine, but I have had bad luck with them in the past. I prefer Echo 1 or JG. Even better are G&G's upper-end models and VFC, but those cost around $100 more.

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:35 am

Doublewolf wrote:That shotgun is an alright backup gun.
When you said it would be a okay backup gun, did you mean secondary or just one to use if my Primary broke or something?

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:18 am

Came up with a few more questions. What roles are in most airsoft teams? How many of those are absolutely essential? What position does the leader normally play, and what positions would be bad for him to play?

specter

Post by specter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 am

Once you're on the field, people tend to fall into one of 4 categories. The long range guy, the mid range guy, the close range guy, and the in-betweeners. Just remember that many guns perform similarly and many people with different roles can perform the same job. Just get a JG S-System. It's cheap and reliable. If you choose to get that shotgun, just remember this. Most people's guns shoot faster, hit harder, and have more range than that.You'll get slaughtered.

Madd Dawg
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Madd Dawg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 am

specter wrote:Just get a JG S-System. It's cheap and reliable.
Planning to get this (http://www.airsplat.com/Items/ER-GG-CM-M4-BLK.htm) and battery+charger and then do the "What the Buck" thing instead of getting the shotgun. Thoughts?