Support Gunners in Milsim

All topics related to milsim and realmil discussions should be here.
Bulldog
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Support Gunners in Milsim

Post by Bulldog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:36 am

So, while I wait to get my first midcap mags for any upcoming milsim games, and a new box mag for my M249 just for general use, I got thinking; how common are support gunners in most milsim games? How much are they valued/targeted?

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Support Gunners in Milsim

Post by Dominum » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:31 am

Since MilSim is such a loosely applied term these days, that varies greatly depending on the game and rule set. It's not really answerable without more specifics.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:38 am

They aren't terribly common. Generally they have a limit of 2 per squad, which usually makes 1 in every 5 players a support gunner. Not every squad has one, so that ratio is usually a little higher. In the milsims that limit riflemen to semi only, support gunners are very highly valued. Simply having the ability to run full auto is very strong when not many on the field have the option.

For games that allow full auto to riflemen, support gunners aren't as useful. A quick mag dump can do the same job, and you don't have to wait for a support gunner to show up to give cover. You still can't suppress people as well as you can with a support weapon, so they are still good for that.

Bulldog
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Bulldog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 am

Star_folder wrote:They aren't terribly common. Generally they have a limit of 2 per squad, which usually makes 1 in every 5 players a support gunner. Not every squad has one, so that ratio is usually a little higher. In the milsims that limit riflemen to semi only, support gunners are very highly valued. Simply having the ability to run full auto is very strong when not many on the field have the option.
Why do you think they aren't commion? Just because people get more rifles than support weapons?

Bulldog
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Bulldog » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:23 am

Dominum wrote:Since MilSim is such a loosely applied term these days, that varies greatly depending on the game and rule set. It's not really answerable without more specifics.
I'm referring to the games where you're only allowed a set number of midcaps and can't reload mags in the middle of a fight.

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Star_folder wrote:They aren't terribly common. Generally they have a limit of 2 per squad, which usually makes 1 in every 5 players a support gunner. Not every squad has one, so that ratio is usually a little higher. In the milsims that limit riflemen to semi only, support gunners are very highly valued. Simply having the ability to run full auto is very strong when not many on the field have the option.
Why do you think they aren't commion? Just because people get more rifles than support weapons?
Because there is a limit to 2 support weapons per squad, so 2 per 10, 1 per 5. At max capacity, this means slightly less than 20% of the weapons on the field are support weapons. However, I think the number is closer to 10-15% because many players would rather use a rifle rather than a support weapon. Support weapons are large, bulky, heavy. They slow you down and wear you out much more than an assault rifle does.

idiot88
I do in fact have a life.
I do in fact have a life.

Post by idiot88 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:02 pm

............ plus you have to spend a lot of money on BB's!