What do you want to see in MilSim games?

All topics related to milsim and realmil discussions should be here.
cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: What do you want to see in MilSim games?

Post by cantttype » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 am

82dcustomer wrote: We did some role playing this weekend.  It started four months ago and came to head Saturday.  We have more plot twists then time to play now but we will have an interesting story when it is all said and done.
Are you going to sum the whole thing up with a youtube video? 
[img width=700 height=131]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w161 ... banner.jpg[/img]
How do I get to the Wellford field? Check the website below.
http://airsoftsc.webs.com/contact.htm

Want to schedule a game? Ask me how.

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:54 am

Not sure.  It is being documented in action Pursuit Games if anyone wants to check out that mag and read my Airsoft articles.

cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by cantttype » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 am

GBB rifles and pistols only for realmil.

Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Gambler » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 am

Why? What makes a GBB any better or more realistic then a EBB? The fact of the matter is if you put those limits on a game you would get about 10 people out. I have seen about 3 GBB's in regular use in the last 2 years. I for one have no desire to deal with gas and it's inconsistency with different temperatures.

ForsakenWolf
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by ForsakenWolf » Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 pm

I know I'm a newer member, but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway...

I'm really really attracted to the idea of a MilSim or RealMil game because I'm enlisting in almost exactly a year. I like the idea of getting airsoft as close to the real world as possible. It's been said in this thread that locaps run out too fast when fired on full auto, so we should use midcaps instead. If the purpose is to get this as close to real life as possible, shouldn't we be firing on single shot anyway? The saying is, "When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic." So, usually, don't we need to be using short bursts or single shot?---On the point of burst, has anyone seen a three round burst AEG? I'd really like to get my hands on an M16A4, but all the ones I've found are full auto...definitely NOT an M16A4.

As for medics, the money that was going to be allocated to pay for vehicles, why don't we put that towards one medic's kit per team, one in Alpha colors and one in Bravo? I don't mean anything really fancy (unless you want one of the North American Rescue Products Litter and Casualty kit, which I use regularly at my job; that thing's amazing), but give the medics something more than stickers and cards. If a guy's hit in the leg, have the medic treat him with a compression bandage. Evacuate him in a litter carried by two other soldiers. This would make treating casualties a more time-consuming process, requiring the team around the casualty to stop the enemy advance first. The medics don't have to be trained first responders or anything, but make them know the very, very basic stuff-how to open and wrap a compression bandage, for instance.

Uniform would have to be a MUST. You don't have to have Interceptor body armor or anything, but a full uniform, boots, and HEADWEAR. Helmet, patrol cap, boonie cap even, but something on your head. Some sort of MOLLE vest or another type of LBV. PCs can be pretty expensive. I don't think that gear and headgear should have to match- up until Multicam was introduced, it was common for the Rangers to wear Ranger green PCs and helmets over their ACUs, like I do. Even before that, it was DCUs (or DBDUs) under woodland BDU vests. I'd like to see RealMil and MilSim have more than Alpha v Bravo. Have US camo on one side, and the enemy faction on the other. Have the enemies wear jeans and a camo top with a shemagh over their face. I would enjoy shooting at guys that looked like insurgents more than gunning down someone in Woodland MARPAT.

DEFINITELY have more realistic missions. I'd love to see a Fallujah-like urban firefight, where the US has to systematically clear buildings that may or may not house insurgents. Have UNEXPECTED ambushes, IEDs (if we can find a safe way to make an airsoft IED, that is), and RPGs (same as the IEDs) on a routine patrol, and have what's expected to be a full-on bloodbath turn out to be a bust because of faulty intel. Have Special Operations forces (which should be modeled after Rangers, SEALs, and Delta) running more specialized missions while other operations are ongoing.

Command structure is important, too. COs, PLs, PSGs, SLs, and TLs are important combat roles. I'd even divide US teams based on Army and Marine camo and have Task Force Grunt and Task Force Jarhead, and give each TF a leader. I would want a squad of guys who look like me instead of having a guy in ACU, one in Multicam, two in MARPAT, and the rest in BDU.

Sorry for anyone who still clings to this notion, but an M4A1 with a box mag isn't, has never, and never will be, a support weapon. For US, I'd recommend only M249, M240B, and the occasional M60 as support weapons. Maybe even the M27, the USMC's replacement for the SAW. Opponents can have RPKs (which is essentially a lenthened AK with a box mag, but it's different), MG36s, PKMs, I don't care. Real support weapons generally fit these requirements: ability to fire for extended periods of time and replaceable barrel. Even the SAW can't spray a whole box and not overheat. Real support weapons are designed to be able to replace the barrel. DMRs should look like DMRs. P90s just won't cut it. I'd also like to see teams using their team's weapons. Yes, SOF can use AKs and whatever else if the situation demands, but it burns me up to see a geared up Army infantryman with an AK-47. Restrictions to amounts of weapons: one LMG (SAW or equivalent) per fire team of four men, two MMGs (M240B or M60, etc.) per platoon. One sniper per platoon. Easy stuff that keeps it more realistic and fun, in my opinion.

I know not all of this is practical, but these are some things I'd really like to see in an airsoft match. Sorry if my response was a small novel, but I felt like addressing what were, in my opinion, the most important factors for a RealMil or MilSim match.
Go and tell that long-tongued liar. Go and tell that midnight rider. Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter, tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down.
-Johnny Cash

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat May 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Your small novel (and 1+ year necro bump) was just a rehash of everything that was said in the last 6 pages. :P
Gambler wrote:The fact of the matter is if you put those limits on a game you would get about 10 people out.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Echo1 Operator
Echo1 Rep
Echo1 Rep

Post by Echo1 Operator » Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm going to enlist in a year so I'm an expert and you're wrong.

ForsakenWolf
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by ForsakenWolf » Sat May 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't feel like I'm an expert because I'm enlisting, I'd just really like to have matches closer to what I'm going to encounter. I know that airsoft is never (insert obscene amount of "never"s here) ever going to be even close to a real firefight, but why not try? Those are just some things that I'd like to see, which is what the thread is about. Even if it's not practical, the thread isn't called "Some practical things you'd like to see in MilSim games?"
Go and tell that long-tongued liar. Go and tell that midnight rider. Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter, tell 'em that God's gonna cut 'em down.
-Johnny Cash

PRincess
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by PRincess » Sun May 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Why not just have fun playing airsoft? Why try and use it as a "training aid" for something that the Drill Sergeants are going to pound into your skull for 9 weeks straight. How about watch some videos on what exactly takes place at BCT and shift fire from there...
Pew pew pew... 'Murica

Vegas
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Vegas » Tue May 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Quite frankly, even if you had your mags, uniforms, medics, and faulty intel missions at its core airsoft has a huge range deficiency that you aren't going to be able to fix. I can hula hoop 300 feet away from your squad in a clown costume and there won't be a thing you can do about it in airsoft-land, in the real world that's an easy shot with an M4... Likewise, scraggly little bushes and shrubs do an incredible job of deflecting incoming bbs and a piss poor job deflecting incoming bullets. CQB and other room clearing type engagements are probably as "realistic" as it gets for airsoft, and there's not much that can change that.
Even when you get into the military, your training is not going to be very reflective of what happens in the real world. Your enemies are usually guys with their uniform blouse turned inside out. MILES gear has the same limitations as airsoft (shrubs and bushes become bulletproof brick walls), simunitions are cool but the safety conscious throatguard and fog-prone goggles aren't (and the range STILL sucks), and using blanks and yelling is hardly indicative of what happens in the real world.
Trying to use "lessons learned" in airsoft out on the two way range is probably going to end up getting you killed. The guy above me hit the nail on the head, enjoy airsoft for what it is, and understand that even "milsim" games are not "just like the real thing"
"We must remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Athenian General Thucydides