What do you want to see in MilSim games?

All topics related to milsim and realmil discussions should be here.
Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Re: What do you want to see in MilSim games?

Post by Gambler » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Even NC only does 1  realmil every other month.  That type of game isn't for the majority of people.  Maybe realmils, but I don't ever see all the games going realmil.
You name a game, I've been to it.

If I've banned you, then you have more than likely deserved it.

If I deleted a post it didn't need to be there or I simply didn't like it.

Slate

Post by Slate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:54 pm

To reiterate and add a couple of things for MilSim games:

1. Hit calling and dead rags a must. Frankly there should be a "Rag Check" at the briefing of each game. If a player doesn't have a rag, they have to find one before being allowed out on the field. Frankly, that's the biggest breach of safety in any game. It's not safe for a player to enter the field without some way to identify themselves as hit. I personally carry 3 dead rags to every game, 2 for Summer (dead rag and sweat rag) and 1 for Winter (wool cap, very comfy).

2. Defined command structure. Yes, we all want to get into the game as soon as possible. BUT, each team (Alpha, Bravo, 3rd Faction) should take an hour before game time to come up with who is in command, and who the subordinates are. Assign loan wolves to other teams, and give out objectives. EVERYONE should know the scenario before entering the field.

3. While vehicles would be nice, they do present a problem. Many do not own AT/AV weapons. Fewer want their daily drivers hit with BBs or a nerf rocket. Bringing vehicles onto the field will require A LOT of sitting down and ironing out details.

4. Age limits. I don't want the young guys to hurt me for saying this, but it's very simple. Older gents (and ladies) have more $$ to spend on looking the part. YES, there are exceptions! But the overall majority of players over the age of 17 are able to come out to games in boots instead of sneakers and Camo instead of jeans. I don't want to see no cowboy elvises running around my battlefield (name the reference!).

5. Mag limits. Mids of lower, simple as that. Support Weapons being the only exception, with a comprehensive list of Airsoft support weapons made available before games. If your gun isn't on the list, it doesn't count.

6. Broader, longer reaching objectives. Objectives posted before the game day that people know have to get accomplished before game end. Then, more complex and smaller objectives released as others are accomplished.

7. Medic rules. I hate them. I think each team should have a Medic Tent or Area set aside in each HQ. The only way a player can be put back into battle is to go to that tent and get cleared by the Doc. Docs will have a set of cards in random order with what injury that soldier has. Those cards will determine the length of time before returning to battle. (For Example, "Graze to the knee" - 1 Minute Respawn whereas "Kill Shot to the Neck" - 10 Minute Respawn).

That being said, if you are killed all alone in the woods, wait 10 minutes then walk back to the tent with your rag on. Otherwise, you need to be dragged, carried or limping, back to the tent by your teammates. I think it would be a great addition to any game, MilSim, RealMil or Standard.
Last edited by Slate on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doublewolf
I do in fact have a life.
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Doublewolf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 pm

First of all, I'd like to say, I would not be hurt if there were age requirements, but I definately would never play in sneakers and jeans. I have combat boots, 2 sets of MARPAT (Alpha and Bravo) and an LBV, along with a GI pistol belt that has my holster, drop-leg dump pouch, and first aid kit. I even read up on my tactics.

Its not really looking the part that would be the issue. There are definately other reasons for age requirements that would make sense, but that isn't one of them. There could be an equipment requirement instead.

Maturity may be a reason. We wouldn't want to have a bunch of kids running around like those kids on video games who complain and refuse to use teamwork, and who spam the voice chat with nonsense. (Yes, I know not all of us are that way.)

I agree with the medic rules thing. We should have stretchers that wounded players have to be carried out on or something like that. Putting your hand on somebody for 30 seconds and them being good as new is great for normal games, but realmils are about realism, and that is far from realistic.

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Slate wrote: To reiterate and add a couple of things for MilSim games:

1. Hit calling and dead rags a must. Frankly there should be a "Rag Check" at the briefing of each game. If a player doesn't have a rag, they have to find one before being allowed out on the field. Frankly, that's the biggest breach of safety in any game. It's not safe for a player to enter the field without some way to identify themselves as hit. I personally carry 3 dead rags to every game, 2 for Summer (dead rag and sweat rag) and 1 for Winter (wool cap, very comfy).

In a real mil game, this should not at all be an issue. If you want to get shot after your dead, its your own fault. Its not like you will be using your dead rag over and over, at most you use it 2 or 3 times. The July 10 real mil, I went all day without getting hit. Therefore, really not a big deal.

2. Defined command structure. Yes, we all want to get into the game as soon as possible. BUT, each team (Alpha, Bravo, 3rd Faction) should take an hour before game time to come up with who is in command, and who the subordinates are. Assign loan wolves to other teams, and give out objectives. EVERYONE should know the scenario before entering the field.

Real mils are inherently meant for small groups of teamwork oriented people. There should always be a commander already set. After that, it should mainly be about SL's and comms.

3. While vehicles would be nice, they do present a problem. Many do not own AT/AV weapons. Fewer want their daily drivers hit with BBs or a nerf rocket. Bringing vehicles onto the field will require A LOT of sitting down and ironing out details.

Not really. If someone is at a real mil, they should be trustworthy enough to not want to sue over nothing. If they want to bring their pickups and ATV's to play on, it just adds another realistic dimension to the game,. No golf cart tanks at real mils.

4. Age limits. I don't want the young guys to hurt me for saying this, but it's very simple. Older gents (and ladies) have more $$ to spend on looking the part. YES, there are exceptions! But the overall majority of players over the age of 17 are able to come out to games in boots instead of sneakers and Camo instead of jeans. I don't want to see no cowboy elvises running around my battlefield (name the reference!).
Age limits sould be solely on the fields reqs/ If someone want to vouch for a younger player, then they should be let in. Because you vouvh for someone, then its on you if they can't act accordingly. But yes, you have to have the correct uniforms. The point of a real mil is realism... Therefor there is no place for people out of uniform. The last NC real mil, the specops team was REQUIRED to have multicam, iAND plate carrier style armor. Thats hardcor uniform reqs.

5. Mag limits. Mids of lower, simple as that. Support Weapons being the only exception, with a comprehensive list of Airsoft support weapons made available before games. If your gun isn't on the list, it doesn't count.

Yepyepyep.

6. Broader, longer reaching objectives. Objectives posted before the game day that people know have to get accomplished before game end. Then, more complex and smaller objectives released as others are accomplished.

Yep

7. Medic rules. I hate them. I think each team should have a Medic Tent or Area set aside in each HQ. The only way a player can be put back into battle is to go to that tent and get cleared by the Doc. Docs will have a set of cards in random order with what injury that soldier has. Those cards will determine the length of time before returning to battle. (For Example, "Graze to the knee" - 1 Minute Respawn whereas "Kill Shot to the Neck" - 10 Minute Respawn).

Good rules.Much like NC's.

That being said, if you are killed all alone in the woods, wait 10 minutes then walk back to the tent with your rag on. Otherwise, you need to be dragged, carried or limping, back to the tent by your teammates. I think it would be a great addition to any game, MilSim, RealMil or Standard.
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.

Slate

Post by Slate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

I was leaning more towards the MilSim side of things, since that's the more likely variation of game played most often.

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Honestly, you guys essentially play milsim style games(according to NC definitions) already. Besides the mag limits and not as hardcore uniforms. If there is command structure and objectives, its milsim.
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Some thoughts about what Slate posted.....

2. CO's should be decided early. From there team SL's should contact the CO with assets. The CO should have a plan and share that with with the SL's who pass it down from there. If there are players/teams with certain skillsets or specialized equipment that should be made known to the CO.

As far as having everyone show up an hour early.... that's like expecting a game to start on time. Once in a while it'll happen but not most of the time.

4. I don't believe there should be an age limit on safety. Boots should be mandatory just for safety. Current Military are using combat boots to hiking boots so to "look the part" you can get a way with a lot of things. I think "uniforms" should be more strictly enforced. Now if you're playing terrorists or a non uniformed army then jeans, t-shirts and so on should be accepted as part of the role playing. Seeing a bunch of guys pretending to be Somali's running around in tank tops and life vests during February is priceless. Getting into your role is part of the fun. However in the heat of summer if you decide lose a layer it still should match your faction.

7. Medic rules should be a little more challenging than anyone can heal you. Possibly going to a per capita number of medics per side. i.e. 1 medic for every 6 people per side. Giving those medics some Scooby Doo bandaids as an alottment for the day. You can heal "X" people during the first half of the day. Allocating the medics will add another layer of complexity for the CO.

Infidel
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Infidel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Yeah, I'd say we know something about Realmil in NC:
Action Pursuit Games, December
[img width=1024 height=664]http://i53.tinypic.com/2vm5yzb.jpg[/img]
Thanks to 82nd Customer and Ping for the Pics

cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by cantttype » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

role playing
[img width=700 height=131]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w161 ... banner.jpg[/img]
How do I get to the Wellford field? Check the website below.
http://airsoftsc.webs.com/contact.htm

Want to schedule a game? Ask me how.

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:38 am

We did some role playing this weekend.  It started four months ago and came to head Saturday.  We have more plot twists then time to play now but we will have an interesting story when it is all said and done.

J2H
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by J2H » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:04 pm

My .02 cents.  I have some real-world experience as I am sure some of you do... as for Comms, some RL military units only issue FireTeam and Squad Leaders comms (in a patrol formation), so that might be an idea, so the team members might not necessarily know 100% whats going on until told so (which does happen).  Also I was reading some of these MilSim games and I would love to participate :-)  Guard duty, sentries, patrols, all sounds fun!  The 90% boredom and the 10% excitement.  I am not a HUGE fan of the "Modern Warfare" run and guns, I'd prefer an objective, organized "chaos" in a way :-)
Jeffrey "Huggies" Hughes
Sharpshooter- Echo 1 ASR (with left-handed mod), Galaxy MP5-K PDW
Veteran of Operations:
NONE YET
OIF/OEF/New Dawn Vet

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:23 pm

J2H you sound like a possible candidate for Real Mil type games.  Get up with Diesel or Gambler about Real Mils.  Next one I know for sure that is going down will more than likely be the third weekend in January.

J2H
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by J2H » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm

It might be a bit till I am up and running 100%... waiting for my M249 to arrive, then will need gear and camo, etc.
Jeffrey "Huggies" Hughes
Veteran of Operations:
NONE YET
OIF/OEF/New Dawn Vet

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:07 am

You will not need a gun or camo for the next one so get up with them anyways to learn about Real Mils.

J2H
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by J2H » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 am

Just did! :-)  I like the idea of NOT knowing when the enemy will strike or not expecting to run into an ambush or something similar
Jeffrey "Huggies" Hughes
Veteran of Operations:
NONE YET
OIF/OEF/New Dawn Vet