What do you want to see in MilSim games?

All topics related to milsim and realmil discussions should be here.
82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: What do you want to see in MilSim games?

Post by 82dcustomer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:42 am

Dominum wrote: Ah, but the difference is that the DMR classification in AS is one of practicality, the rule isn't designed for realism. We simply have to have higher MEDS and semi auto only above certain FPSs for safety. The rules for support guns at RealMils/MilSims are for realism, not safety.
Not true.  The DMR is for realism as well in Real Mil/Milsims.  DMs are a valid role in a squad.  Not everyone in a squad is allowed to have magnification or can shoot well enough to use it.  That is why most DMRs are allowed a three round burst if you can get it.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:46 am

I think he was referring to the normal ruleset, not that of realmils.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by 82dcustomer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 am

Like it has been said before, this game type is not for everyone.  We do not look down upon you for not wanting to play this type, but we will be damned if we let others dilute what we have pushed for for so long.  The event organizer puts out the final rule set and it is up to the player to either attend or not attend.  If you do not like my Real mil create your own instead of trying to modify mine to fit your needs.

I found it cool that two different people have told me they used what they learned at this last Real Mil the very next couple of days.  Those two people being competent in what they needed to do because of our training made the whole scenario worth it.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am

SteevoLS wrote: I think he was referring to the normal ruleset, not that of realmils.
^Correct.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Big Bird
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by Big Bird » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Just my $.02 worth:

Only use box/drum mags on guns that would be used that way in the real world, period. Not "I saw a MP5 in a photo one time....", I mean what they really do use them on regularly. I don't say this to beat the dead horse, to piss anyone off, or because think we should have ultra, over the top realism but I just see it as lame.

Dead rags, COME ON! I think if someone doesn't have one, they don't play period. I haven't been playing that long but I am already SICK of people not having one. They get shot, if they even call their hits, they don't have a dead rag and this is supposed to be a rule, right?

Medic/respawn, I would like to have medic rules like we had at the Air Farm last game. It made it worth while to wear a helmet and/or a plate carrier in that if you were hit in either, the medic (limited ammount) asked "where are you hit?" you said "helmet" or "PC" and you were back in as long as you had not been there more than 3 minutes. I also like being able to take respawns, kind of rewards you for taking ground.

Hit calling. Just call it if you are hit, if you are certian you hit someone else and they don't call it, oh well . Some times you can be pretty sure you hit some one and your bb may have just missed them but if you do hit them and they don't call it, some people just don't have honor and yelling at them won't fix that.
Last and certianly not least...................
RULES! The safety brief is given for a reason, I don't care how many games you are a "vet" of you still need to be there and LISTEN to the brief. I think if you aren't there in time for the brief you should have to either get a brief when the organizer has a chance or wait until the break to get one and then enter the game.
Last edited by Big Bird on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Bird [Rifleman]
SWC, Special Warfare Command
"Adapt - Evade - Overcome"

GARRETT
I do in fact have a life.

Post by GARRETT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:21 pm

I say it this way, if you want to play a milsim game, then fallow the milsim rules. Otherwise save it for a standard game.

Big Bird
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by Big Bird » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:09 pm

And by "standard game" you mean? I thought what we play is milsim.
Last edited by Big Bird on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Bird [Rifleman]
SWC, Special Warfare Command
"Adapt - Evade - Overcome"

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:58 pm

In SC we define games as three types: Standard (What we normally do), MilSim (mids only), and RealMil (lows only). That is a very rough definition, and you'll notice that many of our games are essentially "MilSim" format with hicaps allowed.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:55 pm

To add to what Henry said: the majority of South Carolina's games up till recently would count as paintsoft in most of the country. We have been experimenting with things like not separating teams by color, more advanced medic rules, and so forth. Baby steps are being taken towards more defined milsim and even realmil games, but baby steps are about all I'd be willing to call them.

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Look, that definition is pretty much a waste. Even in NC, we allow Mids at real mils. Reason being, you shoot full auto for 3 seconds with an airsoft rifle with 110 round mids, you are out. With a real rifle with 30 round mags, its about the same. Airsoft has neither the range, or more importantly the accuracy of a real rifle. A 3 bb to 1 real round range is more than enough. The important thing is you HAVE to change mags fairly often, not wind the bottom of a highcap.

Try looking at EricX's definition of paintsoft, milsim, and real mil. I know someone posted it recently.

You can have a lows only game, and it still be paintsoft. The difference is the mindset. I would reccomend listening to those who have been to some of NC's real mils(gambler, diesel) and letting them define such things. If you haven't played that style before, you really can't envision the mentality.  Its a whole different ballgame, that has nothing to do with mag capacities.

Edit:

To add to that, most games you have been putting on recently would fall in the Milsim category. Are there missions? Yes. Props? Yes. Generals? Yes. Its milsim. Paintsoft is pretty much lets go out and kill each other. Nothing wrong with it, but thats the difference.
Last edited by splatmaster on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Annnnnd that's why I added on to Henry's "definition". ;)

Doublewolf

Post by Doublewolf » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:44 pm

I like the games you guys have been putting on lately. Objectives, chain of command, scenario, but still somewhat casual. I'd be willing to try a more realistic realmil type game (that is, if there aren't minimum age requirements). I would not, however like to play a paintsoft, run and gun type game. If I wanted to do that, I would be playing paintball.

I want to eventually join the military, and I would like to play in a few realmil games.

I do agree that although we don't want highcaps, we don't need to require realcaps, since the range and accuracy of a real steel gun and its airsoft counterpart are not comparable. Midcaps would work well for realmils.

I know this never would happen, but I would like to say that I wouldn't like all of the games to be realmil. I like the games we have now where we divide the teams by color, and although we have some realism, we just go out there and have fun.
Last edited by Doublewolf on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Gambler » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Dominum wrote: In SC we define games as three types: Standard (What we normally do), MilSim (mids only), and RealMil (lows only). That is a very rough definition, and you'll notice that many of our games are essentially "MilSim" format with hicaps allowed.
DW, SC will NEVER have realmil only games.  They simply aren't for everyone.  Even in NC the Milsim games are only run once every other month.
Last edited by Gambler on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You name a game, I've been to it.

If I've banned you, then you have more than likely deserved it.

If I deleted a post it didn't need to be there or I simply didn't like it.

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 am

Never say NEVER. ;) I'm planning a CQC event that will have real steel mag limits.

In my experience the need for mids in an outdoor game is because unlike a real steel round a bb will get deflected by a twig. So it takes follow 2-3 rounds to punch through vegitation. Most outdoor events I've played that are milsim allow mids for that reason. However the CQC events that say they are milsim or realmil are set to real steel mag limits because there is no brush to punch through.

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Mack wrote: Never say NEVER. ;) I'm planning a CQC event that will have real steel mag limits.

In my experience the need for mids in an outdoor game is because unlike a real steel round a bb will get deflected by a twig. So it takes follow 2-3 rounds to punch through vegitation. Most outdoor events I've played that are milsim allow mids for that reason. However the CQC events that say they are milsim or realmil are set to real steel mag limits because there is no brush to punch through.

Good reasoning
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.