Knife Discussion and Pictures

If it's not airsoft related, then put it here.
Romba
I do in fact have a life.

Knife Discussion and Pictures

Post by Romba » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Having talked about knives with several people, it seems we have some knife people here. Show off your collection, acquisitions, and talk about knives here.

I'll start. These are my CRKTs. Apparently Luke shares my love for CRKT's fine blades.
Left to right: Hammond Cruiser, Heiho, Minimalist Wharncliffe
Click the link above to check out my channel for reviews and gameplay!

Skywalker

Re: Knife Discussion and Pictures

Post by Skywalker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 pm

Well, I have more pocket knives than airsoft guns, if that helps, but trying to find them all and take pictures is a different task. A few Benchmades, several CRKTs, some Gerbers and Leathermans over the years... as well as all the other ones that either aren't well known, or didn't have much of a name brand in the first place.
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 am

I have a love of CRKT. Took this last year some time. Now they're a little more used, abused, and dirty.

[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

Romba

Post by Romba » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:08 am

CRKTs are awesome, cheap knives. My only quarrel with them is the chisel grind. You've got to be like a professional sharpener and free-hand sharpen it unless you want to put a new edge on it. Gotta love that Hammond cruiser too.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:13 pm

Mora Mora Mora!
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Black Poison Airsoft
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Black Poison Airsoft » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm

I personally use Gerber, Benchmade, and a Leatherman. Great quality knives. My favorite is the Benchmade 51 I carry around everywhere. I just wish I could get my hands on a Benchmade 42, but they're pricey for me. I say that and I carry a Pelikan Souveran or Sailor 1911 in my pocket all the time.....

Anyway, I don't feel like gathering all the knives, but here's my baby! The Benchmade 51. I think we're going on 2 1/2 years now? Not long, but it's been the best knife I ever used. Great edge holding too. It's a pain to sharpen though.

Romba

Post by Romba » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Never thought of carrying a butterfly knife... You like it, obviously? How does it compare usefulness wise to a folder?

Black Poison Airsoft
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Black Poison Airsoft » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Romba wrote:Never thought of carrying a butterfly knife... You like it, obviously? How does it compare usefulness wise to a folder?
I actually really enjoy it. I've heard that it's impractical and so on so forth, but I honestly haven't ever had issues with it. The only really thing is learning to flip one open the first time. After that, it becomes more fun to carry one around just because is gives you something to do.

As far as the knife itself, it handles very well to being taken everywhere. As long as it's good quality of course. I would recommend no less than Benchmade. Lower end knives become loose after a while and wobbly. So far with the Benchmade, everything is still rock solid after 2 years of carrying it around nearly every day and working with it. Butterfly knives take a little more care though. You need to tighten the joints every once in a while and lubricate it. But other than that, I prefer them over a typical folding knife just do to the fun of flipping it and I also like the ergonomics of the longer handle and thinner, longer blade than a folding knife.

As far as usefulness goes, it can be opened in one hand very easily and opens decently fast. Not as fast as a folding knife of course, but it doesn't matter too much. I have dropped it many times and gotten dirt and grime in the joints, but it always washes out fine. They are just as good and more fun to use, but they take a little more maintenance. A once in a month washing and lubrication is the most it could ever need. That and the occasional tightening of a joint. All you need for that is a small Torx bit though.

Romba

Post by Romba » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Looked it up, and that knife is wayyyy out of my league price wise... I know you get what you pay for, but when I'm still saving for a car, that's a lot of money lol. And to be honest, at that price range I'd rather have a microtech ultratech. Gotta love those OTFs. Definitely would love to try carrying one though.

Black Poison Airsoft
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Black Poison Airsoft » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:42 pm

That's the unfortunate thing with butterfly knives. Unless you get a very good one, it'll fall apart pretty quickly. Nature of the beast though. I'd say it's definitely worth it since it'll be the last butterfly knife you ever buy. But I'm the kind of guy that spends insane amounts on pens and knives and thinks I'm still mentally sane.