Starting a DMR

The this and that of airsoft.
TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Starting a DMR

Post by TeamBadCompany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:20 pm

What would be good gun to use as a base for a DMR? I dont want to put a ton of money into it, so below 150 would be best. Any guns that you would want to sell me to use would also be greatly appreciated. What classifies a gun as a DMR?
Bad Company till the day I die...
Got shot at:
Blackwater

blackout
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: Starting a DMR

Post by blackout » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Bishop
Gold Team
Gold Team

Post by Bishop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:26 pm

If you are thinking of making a DMR, you need to throw the idea of not spending a lot of money out the window. DMR's are expensive if you truly want to build one. However, if you are serious this link explains the process. Any gun can be made into a DMR, but typically people turn the M16 style weapons, and the longer AEG's

http://airsoftsniper.proboards.com/inde ... hread=1291
Read this all the way thru, and decide if you still want a DMR

D.Smitty
I do in fact have a life.
I do in fact have a life.

Post by D.Smitty » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Base for a DMR? Use a Tokyo Marui clone such as JG. Expect to overall the internals. There was a thread where I gave a breakdown of everything you'd need to have a somewhat reliable DMR (and not just a chiclone with a 500 FPS spring) a while ago...anybody know where I put that thing?

Anyway, the total cost was in excess of $400, minimum, even starting with a JG for ~$125.

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm

what if i started off a boneyard gun?
Got shot at:
Blackwater

blackout
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by blackout » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 pm

I feel like what buttontk posted is a bit extreme, after all we are shooting a spherical bb.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 pm

ButtonK is exactly right. DMR builds tend to run $500+, sometimes close to $1k. My personal SPR has about $600 in it and I'm still not done with it.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Bishop
Gold Team
Gold Team

Post by Bishop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 pm

My knowledge of DMR's comes from having Star_Folder as a best friend, as well as researching the costs of possibly turning my gun into one. I decided to go BASR(bolt action) instead due to the cost. A DMR is not just about reaching further than other guns, but being able to put rounds precisely where they need to be at a further range than any gun the rest of the squad has. this means a consistent fps, a consistant electrical charge to keep the fps high, as well as a reliable gun pulling the spring. Not to mention the hop up work needed as well.

slickridley
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by slickridley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm

TeamBadCompany wrote:What would be good gun to use as a base for a DMR? I dont want to put a ton of money into it, so below 150 would be best. Any guns that you would want to sell me to use would also be greatly appreciated. What classifies a gun as a DMR?
I think you actually need to go to a game and play first to see what your kind of player you are before you start dropping money into a DMR

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm

that would probably help, is there anything saturday other than phantom hawk?
Got shot at:
Blackwater

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:34 pm

PH is the best place to see them

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:43 pm

cant go, my dad is the only one who can drive me and he will be in georgia.
Got shot at:
Blackwater

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 pm

I'll add my spill on DMRs. They take more work than they do money. It's a hard path, but it is very rewarding.

As some have said, pick a gun you like. Almost any gun can be made into a DMR, you just need to pick one you like, and start from there.

Gabe
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Gabe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 am

blackout wrote:I feel like what buttontk posted is a bit extreme, after all we are shooting a spherical bb.
QFT. There is such thing as over-thinking or over-engineering, but some of that was very good information. Basement mods can produce incredible results from simple (often not even airsoft related) components, just don't forget that reliability needs to be part of your thought process.

At this point DMR is pretty much a title people want to put on their guns. What people should be doing is honing their skills to be the DM, not overly upgrading their rigs to shoot over 9000 fps. When Angelmaker and I still played frequently, I'd spot for him with a stock Cybergun Sig 552 when my GWS 556 was down. I probably sound like an idealist, but player skill is 10,000 times more important than the effective range of his/her weapon.

Idealism aside and tech advice front and center: Buy a cheap clone, clean out and shim the GB, use bb's one step heavier than you think you need, clean up the inner barrel, and modify the hop as necessary (varies a lot by model). Without touching the FPS you'll have a greater effective range.

Bishop
Gold Team
Gold Team

Post by Bishop » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:55 am

Agreed that player skill is far more important than gun parts, but the whole premise of a DMR is to have a greater effective range. Without that effective range increase, its just another gun. Regardless of the idea people want to put out, A DMR is not just a m16 with a new bucking and a 500 fps spring.

Not saying DMR's should all cost 1000 bucks and poop rainbows, but its not something that you can do on a small budget.