Budget starter packages

The this and that of airsoft.
SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Budget starter packages

Post by SquadronROE » Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm fairly sure this has been explored in the past, as it tends to come up just about everywhere, but I've been putting a lot of thought into how to most efficiently get people into airsoft.

A lot of people I know love playing airsoft, but have the same questions on trying to buy equipment. They don't know the manufacturers, don't know what they need to play, and don't want to plunk down a ton of money on something they might not end up using a lot. So to help combat that, I've tried to come up with a variety of "packages" that can be offered.

AirsoftGI has these packages which seem to be decent value. I'm not sure about the "E90", but the others seem like fairly solid entry level guns. I kind of dislike the "sniper" starter package but what can you do.. some kids want to play CoD and noscope kill everyone.

Unfortunately, those seem to be eternally out of stock. So... I'm trying to come up with some other packages to offer. From what I've seen, the two most popular guns for newbies to pick up are an M4 variant and G36C. Trying to stick with a budget of <$250 makes the job a little harder, but with some work here's what I've come up with:

Package A:
JG G36 - $150
Mask - $35
BBs - $15
Battery and Charger - $55
Vest - $30

Subtotal - $285
Discount - $51
Total - $234

Package B:
G&G Combat Machine - $155
Mask - $35
BBs - $15
Battery and Charger - Included with Gun
Vest - $30

SubTotal - $235
Discounts for various Airsoft GI promotions - $42 (free shipping too)
Total - $193

Package C:
G&G Combat Raider - $150
Mask - $35
BBs - $15
Vest - $30
Battery and Charger - $55

Subtotal - $285
Discount - $51
Total - $234

Package D:
CYMA AK74 - $110
Mask - $35
BBs - $15
Vest - $30
Battery and Charger - $75

Subtotal - $265
Discount - $47
Total - $218

So there's 4 packages that are all sub-$250. Considering that you don't really need a vest to play, and that I did all of this research on AGI and didn't factor in Evike or cheaper overseas retailers, I think these might be a good starting point. Plus, they are all figuring in decent batteries, bio-degradable ammo, full face masks, and smart chargers.

Also, I threw together a pistol package:

KJW M9 - $110
Extra Magazine - $30
Belt Holster - $12
Belt - $10
Mask - $30
Propane Adapter - $15

Subtotal - $207
Discount - $31
Total - $176

However, pick this stuff apart. Are there better packages? The only thing I left out on purpose was non-necessary stuff like gloves and stuff that's incredible individualized like camo and boots.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Re: Budget starter packages

Post by SteevoLS » Tue May 15, 2012 12:44 pm

None of your options except the pistol take in to account the fact that you need something to hold the BBs that your gun shoots! (read: mags)

AirsoftGI recently "released" a line of budget AEGs under the badge of Lancer Tactical. These sub-$100 M4s look great for the price. I want to think they're rebranded JGs, but the closeup pictures make the receivers look like G&G's nylon polymer. At the same time, they are so inexpensive that they might be from a new manufacturer entirely. Either way, metal spring guide + 7mm bearings + polycarb piston = pretty much what any chiclone comes with.

M4, front wired - $89.99
MAG midcap box set - $56.00
Chest rig that actually looks functional... avoid the crossdraw! - $39.00

AirsoftGI total = $184.99 with free shipping, minus 15% for coupons = $157.24

7.4v 1800mah 20-40c lipo - $7.67 x 2 batteries = $15.34
Lipo/Nimh/Nicd smart charger - $17.99 (add $10 for power supply) = $27.99
Shipping should be $10 or so.

.20g BBs from Crosman are readily available at Walmart for $10/5000ct. I've used quite a few of these over the years with no ill effects, and the last year or so has shown a great leap in quality. For a low powered gun you simply can't beat the value.

So... here we have:

- gun
- 8 magazines
- a chest rig that can hold all those magazines along with water bottles, spare BBs, tools, etc
- 2 quality batteries on par with 9.6v NiMHs but a lot cheaper
- The only charger you'll ever need
- BBs

Total price: Around $210

The only thing left is eye protection and camo, and those can cost as much or as little as the player decides. I feel this initial purchase could easily scale up with the player. If the M4 proves to be a solid rifle, they can upgrade it as desired. If they decide to purchase a higher-end rifle, the gear and batteries will still do their jobs just fine. Choosing a M4 over an AK or G36 (or anything else) for your first rifle does not get you any cool points for being unique, but it does mean that everybody and their brother will be selling parts for it.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

marpat96
I do in fact have a life.

Post by marpat96 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 pm

The recievers look like the SRC plastic tab style reciever, but if it is a G&G stlye reciever, then this will be great.
Last game I went to: Redfox, March 29th, 2014
(Stolen from Gerbilizer :D)

SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by SquadronROE » Tue May 15, 2012 1:38 pm

They didn't take it into account since there's a couple schools of thought on getting mags. Not everyone likes midcaps, not all fields allow hi-caps. I'll go back and check that stuff again though, I could make some options.

Also, good find with that smart charger and the Lancer. That should be pretty great if it's not super cheap plastic.

marpat96

Post by marpat96 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:47 pm

It's not rebranded I think, it doesn't look like a JG or SRC or Cyma/
Last game I went to: Redfox, March 29th, 2014
(Stolen from Gerbilizer :D)

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Tue May 15, 2012 1:59 pm

It has a G&G style plastic flash hider, and they say polymer instead of plastic. Who knows?

SquadronROE
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by SquadronROE » Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm

If you consider that plastic is a polymer, I'm leaning towards it being plastic and them not wanting to out and say it's plastic. Might be constructed like a WELL M4 or something.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 pm

That is true, but more often than not "polymer" is reserved for the nylon fiber based polymers on G&G receivers, VFC/DBoys furniture, etc. Unfortunately, you could very well be right in this case.