Umarex iwi tar-21

The this and that of airsoft.
VoidSuicide
I do in fact have a life.

Umarex iwi tar-21

Post by VoidSuicide » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am

Anyone know anything about it? I'm thinking I want a new bullpup to get back into the game with. Main thing I want to know is how good/bad it is out of the box and if it has a metal gearbox. Although, any other oddball specs would be appreciated.
[align=center]Back from the dead?

Image[/align]

VoidSuicide

Re: Umarex iwi tar-21

Post by VoidSuicide » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:50 am

Ok, so I called airsoft gi, and according to them it is a metal v3 gb. Still curious if anyone has had experience with them tho.

Image[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 pm

If it's more than $400, it's an Ares gun, if it's less, it's S&T. Neither of which have version 3s. They are more closely related to v6s, but even then, they aren't v6s.

I have extensive experiences with the Ares version, but very little experience with the S&T version.

The weaknesses of the platform is the trigger rods between the gearbox and the trigger/selector switch. The tappet plate is also weak/bad and the cylinder head is cheaply made. The reason these parts worry me is they are all proprietary. Other issues, mostly the piston, can be fixed by replacement.

The gearbox is solid though, and the built in motor cage makes shimming a little easier/stronger. Not too much room for wires or batteries if you're using nimhs. Personally, the erganomics of the gun are fantastic.
[align=center]Image[/align]

VoidSuicide

Post by VoidSuicide » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the info star. While I'm at it, any other bullpups worth looking at, preferably at or under $200-ish?

Edit: found a jg aug on airsoft Atlanta for about $125, true v3 metal gb. How would that be?

Image[/align]

ibeezthecapn

Post by ibeezthecapn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 pm

So, I used to run a Palco Sports FA-MAS and liked it a lot. metal GB, decent groupings stock, the only pain was the handguard, at first at least. built in bipod that doesnt flop out on you, downhill sights built into carry handle, and nice feel on the shoulder.
AEA airsofter, Anywhere Everywhere Anytime

Last Game OP Vietnam Patrol - US CO - Win

THANK YOU!!

TokenTech89

Post by TokenTech89 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:32 am

have an aug. stock, it sounds loud, but after to tune it and do the normal maintanance, it goes down. easy to get the gearbox out. its got a metal gb, but plastic bushings

"In the dark recesses of the mind, a disease known as FEAR feasts upon the souls of those who cannot overcome ITs power."

VoidSuicide

Post by VoidSuicide » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Plastic bushings wouldn't bother me, as long as the gb was metal and it didn't have a bunch of cruddy proprietary parts. If I could manage to sell some things, I would probably get the aug because I could make it incredibly silent.

Image[/align]

TokenTech89

Post by TokenTech89 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Stealth Hero wrote:Plastic bushings wouldn't bother me, as long as the gb was metal and it didn't have a bunch of cruddy proprietary parts. If I could manage to sell some things, I would probably get the aug because I could make it incredibly silent.
No proprietary parts INTERNALLY.

"In the dark recesses of the mind, a disease known as FEAR feasts upon the souls of those who cannot overcome ITs power."

marpat96

Post by marpat96 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:43 pm

The JG AUG we worked on/had, had a full metal gearbox with metal spring guide and metal bushings, solid gearbox.
Last game I went to: Redfox, March 29th, 2014
(Stolen from Gerbilizer :D)

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Kory is spot on. Why they told you it had a V3 is further evidence that 90% of employees at the big retailers don't know anything about airsoft worth knowing. The trigger and safety rod are both a huge PITA, and while what Kory said about replacing the piston is true, do note that you may still have issues. I installed an aftermarket piston in one once (I forget what it was) and the GB shell was too tight in the back along the piston rails. This meant that the piston would get "stuck" all the way back when you tried to fire it. I ended up having to dremel down part of the shell to get it to work correctly. It was a major PITA to work on and I try to avoid having to. Also, the barrel and hopup assy. have to be slid into the barrel in a funky sort of way.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Oh, right! I had forgotten about the "reinforcement" they put around the back of the piston area. Reinforced pistons don't fit without modification to the shell or the piston. Really poor design for that bit. Something like a supercore style piston (read lonex pistons) wouldn't fit, but an SHS 15 tooth would/should.