Starting a DMR

The this and that of airsoft.
D.Smitty
I do in fact have a life.

Re: Starting a DMR

Post by D.Smitty » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 pm

buttontk wrote:Not saying DMR's should all cost 1000 bucks and poop rainbows.
So you say, but....

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Gabe wrote:
blackout wrote:I feel like what buttontk posted is a bit extreme, after all we are shooting a spherical bb.
What people should be doing is honing their skills to be the DM, not overly upgrading their rigs to shoot over 9000 fps. When Angelmaker and I still played frequently, I'd spot for him with a stock Cybergun Sig 552 when my GWS 556 was down. I probably sound like an idealist, but player skill is 10,000 times more important than the effective range of his/her weapon.
that is exactly what my dad would say, i asked him what gun he likes for combat style stuff and he said derringer :)
Bad Company till the day I die...
Got shot at:
Blackwater

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:55 pm

I know this is getting redundant at this point but--

You pretty much get what you pay for.

Yes you can start with a cheap clone since you'd be redoing the gearbox, but a DMR is gunna cost you. I'd say wait for a time when money isn't as much of a factor, for now just improve your skills as a tech. Because before you own a true DMR, you have to be a tech. Not really a way around it.

I've got 2 DMRs and they both need lots of love to keep running smoothly.

Echo1 Operator
Echo1 Rep
Echo1 Rep

Post by Echo1 Operator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Save your pennies for a PTW. It will outperform any regular AEG build, and will actually be worth something if you want to sell it.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:36 pm

airsoftsniper11 wrote:Save your pennies for a PTW. It will outperform any regular AEG build, and will actually be worth something if you want to sell it.
BAH that argument again lol

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm

If you had $750-1000 to invest in a DMR right off the bat that would make a lot of sense.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

theboss62
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by theboss62 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 pm

airsoftsniper11 wrote:Save your pennies for a PTW. It will outperform any regular AEG build, and will actually be worth something if you want to sell it.
as sarcastic as you are. I agree.
Team AJAX
Arsenal- in the works
Fulda Gap 10**OPMantis**OP Viper**OP Phantom Hawk**OP Mantis II**OP Attrition**OP Banshee**TDC**
Dominum wrote: "We are chairsofting, but in a MilSim sort of way".

Romba

Post by Romba » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:41 am

I would love to build a DMR, but for the money needed. My KWA M4 has pretty good range. For now I'm gonna just upgrade that. Though I HAVE been itching to pick up a cheap bolt action sniper.....

severed
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by severed » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:48 am

buttontk wrote:a consistant electrical charge to keep the fps high,
I'll comment on this first as it bugs the crap out of me, electrical charge does not affect FPS, all the battery does is spin the motor to turn the gears to pull the piston back to compress the spring. That's all mechanical, FPS in an airsoft gun is based on pneumatics, the volume of air contained in the cylinder, the various airseals and the force at which the spring expels that air behind the BB.

OK DMR, Why would anyone drop $500 into a JG or any entry level gun? I mean you're about to spend stupid money, spend some of that stupid money up front and get a quality base to start on. My M14 had over $700 in PARTS put into it before I found the combination that yielded (still to this day - 3yrs later) 490+fps with a .2 from a M140 spring and could shoot 19rps on a 9.6 4200 but could be ran just fine on a 8.4. 3600.

you will need at the minimum:
Metal bushings - bearings don't hold up well to high FPS over time
gears, good gears
high tq motor
16ga low resistance rewire
mosfet
big spring
BB spring guide
BB piston head
good piston (no metal teeth, this is a personal pref as if anything goes I'd rather it be a $20-25 piston than a $100 set of gears)
dual o-ring cylinder head, nozzle that fits perfectly on that cylinder head
perfect airseal
sorbothan pads
quality magnifying optic
high quality tight bore barrel, I ran DB Customs 6.01's and never had a problem
I made my own hop up nub because it worked better than anything I could buy.
and then you're going to be needing heavier BB's I ran .36 Madbull's.

building a DMR is almost as involved as building a sniper rifle except you have more options for parts for a DMR. You will not be a sniper, you might fill the role of counter sniper but you are just another grunt but you have a little bit more range, much higher FPS and a longer MED.

$150...pshhh you can barely build a decent AEG for that much if you already have a gun to build on
Say what you want, think what you want, it won't change the fact that AJAX will do what we want, when we want, including roll the ____ over you.

▲
▲ ▲

fine print: sometimes I'm serious and post middle of the ground statements based on logic, other times I will post something absurd just to point out the sheer lunacy of someone's opinion. Other times I may post something directed specifically at another forum member just to be a smartass. Don't take it personally, it's all in good fun.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 am

Read my tech tips thread, as it classifies airsoft guns. A lot of good advice here, but I want to point out a few things.

$500-$700 will get you a great DMR made, plus whatever super awesome externals you want to make it look cool. Not my cup of tea, I prefer simplicity in externals, so you will notice that both my G3SG1 and M16A3 had nothing more than a scope added. Not sure why someone said they went the bolt action route to save money... you can make a great DMR for less than a great bolt action sniper rifle. The bottom line is, play the game, save your money, and then decide what role you want to fill.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Romba

Post by Romba » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 am

I said I want a CHEAP bolt action, not a good one. I said that because I want to try out being a sniper...

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:23 am

You can't, you will have the same or less range and accuracy as everyone else on the field, with the added disadvantage of being bolt operated. You need $800+ for it to function as a sniper rifle is required to be viable.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Romba

Post by Romba » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:28 am

Darn......

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 am

thats not entirely true. sure if you try and jump into firefights you'll get lit up, but the whole theory of a sniper is 1 shot 1 kill.

you can play the sniper role with a spring pistol if you're sneaky enough.
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Nytestalker
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by Nytestalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 am

Hahaha, well be prepared to be disappointed. Both Skywalker and AKA KIller can both attest to the fact that even after putting upwards to a grand in a gun being a sniper is still frustrating and often times dissapointing. Take Dom's advice and play the game, find out where you fit, and save your money. If anything try to borrow someones cheap sniper rifle and run with it a few games that way you don't waste your money before you know if you will like it or not.