Starting a DMR

The this and that of airsoft.
Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Re: Starting a DMR

Post by Gambler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 am

Skywalker wrote:thats not entirely true. sure if you try and jump into firefights you'll get lit up, but the whole theory of a sniper is 1 shot 1 kill.

you can play the sniper role with a spring pistol if you're sneaky enough.
Sorry Skywalker, but no you can't. The theory of a sniper is 1 shot 1 kill from distance without being detected. This is not an option if you have to get close enough to get a pistol kill.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 am

That is true Sky, but the combat mechanics mean it should be done with more range and accuracy than others. My point is, if you are going to use a stock sniper rifle, you are acting illogically because you would be way better of in ANY role (sniper or otherwise) to spend the same money on an AEG. There is no reason to waist your money on a bolt action rifle UNLESS you are going to upgrade it a lot.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Skywalker
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:53 am

Gambler-
Oh yeah it is, you can be undetected that close to people. I've done it plenty of times, it takes a lot of patience though.

This is all based on the idea that the sniper's priority is staying undetected, which includes passing up opportunities to make a kill. Which is a much different role than most people carrying bolt actions play on the field.

Dom-
The thing I like about a bolt Dom, is it forces you to be patient. If you don't play like a sniper while carrying a bolt action, then you pretty much just get lit up all day. Even if it is just a 500fps UTG L96, it forces you to completely change your style of play. And at that point, its more about how sneaky you are than about your gun's groupings at 250'
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Snipers aren't just people who ambush others, doing it at range and still remaining undetected is a part of it. A long time ago now I guess, before you were around or most other people here were for that matter, I used to be an exclusively ambush player. I had a darn near silent P90 with excellent groupings and a great ROF with average range, and I played with almost nothing else. I did nothing except ambush players and teams, I would sneak around flanks and wait for good opportunities to kill groups at a time, passing up single kills so as to better do so. I killed a LOT of people without them ever knowing I was there, and wiped out team after team the same way on a lot of different fields. My name came to be synonomous with creek beds, and COs didn't work the flanks without telling their men to "watch out for Dom!". But no one, myself included, would call that being a sniper because I was never very far from my targets. What you are talking about is this. While I used a lot of the same skillset of a sniper, I was most certainly not acting as one, and if I had been using a spring pistol or a stock bolt action I still would not be acting as one. If you are going to limit yourself to bolt, then you may as well have the range to make it worthwhile. That is a huge part of what a sniper is, being just as sneaky, but from further away than most other players are. Yes, you can get sneaky kills with a stock bolt action, but you cannot be classified as an actual sniper with the range and accuracy that is required of the role.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

severed
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by severed » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm

you can go sit in the creek bed in the corner of some field if your priority is to stay undetected.

The roll of a sniper in airsoft is fairly ridiculous, in 4+yrs and 100's of games, I've known very few that actually fit the bill of sniper, even in serious MilSim communities. You aren't there to focus on being solely undetected, yeah your goal might be a 1 shot 1 kill but an airsoft sniper "should" be getting in a good position and acting as a forward observer, reporting back information on enemy movements, plans, etc. You might have a HVT or 2, you might even provide some longer range support for teammates moving up but for the most part you probably won't shoot more than a couple rounds all day if any at all. You shouldn't be running alone either, your pistol, side arm is there for when the isht hits the fan inside your MED. You "should" have a spotter with an assault weapon and an optic that's comparable to what's on your SWS so that they can help with range estimation and guide you on target and to save your backside when you are detected and need to make a hasty retreat.

Skywalker, I know you've put forth a great effort to read a ton of info on various airsoft boards in the time you've been playing, which I commend. Remember 80% of that is BS that people have garnered for playing video games or seen in movies or read somewhere else and they are repeating it just to seem uber elite. None of that dramatized, hyped up crap is viable in airsoft. I know we are playing a game with toy guns but the *role* you are playing should be similar if not the same in purpose as the real deal role. You shouldn't be stalking your way into pistol range. A properly functioning sniper team is far to valuable to be that reckless.
Say what you want, think what you want, it won't change the fact that AJAX will do what we want, when we want, including roll the ____ over you.

▲
▲ ▲

fine print: sometimes I'm serious and post middle of the ground statements based on logic, other times I will post something absurd just to point out the sheer lunacy of someone's opinion. Other times I may post something directed specifically at another forum member just to be a smartass. Don't take it personally, it's all in good fun.

severed
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by severed » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm

well said Dom
Say what you want, think what you want, it won't change the fact that AJAX will do what we want, when we want, including roll the ____ over you.

▲
▲ ▲

fine print: sometimes I'm serious and post middle of the ground statements based on logic, other times I will post something absurd just to point out the sheer lunacy of someone's opinion. Other times I may post something directed specifically at another forum member just to be a smartass. Don't take it personally, it's all in good fun.

Romba

Post by Romba » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:30 pm

SCREW SNIPING! I shall stay with spraying BB's.

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Well played Dom sir.

I would say though, that when I'm referring to sneaky, I mean going undetected, not necessarily ambushing people. If you had passed up opportunities for kills with the P90, and kept pushing through enemy lines, you basically would have been a sniper. I guess we're both partially right, because, at a point, the snipers job is to have a long range kill, generally on the enemies base, which would be impossible to sneak into.

Severed, I don't mean stalking up toward enemy patrols, but just laying low til they pass by, and then continue getting to "good position and acting as a forward observer, reporting back information on enemy movements, plans, etc." My only point is, all of that can be done without a 800$ sniper rifle, and technically, could be done with a spring pistol.

Also I pretty much just read on how to spend hundreds more dollars on my guns... lol. Being a sniper is hard to teach. You're either willing to be that patient, or you aren't. And Killer can attest to both sides of my gameplay. Bolt action, I'm sneaky. 45rps, I'm like a jackrabbit.

And

I want to see that version of Dom at some games! I feel like he and I would have some epic battles... or runs. Put the M60 down and jump in some creeks with that PTW :)

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Well said Severed.

Snipers should be scouts, gaining info for their team, about the enemy.

From what I can tell, the people that run around with sniper rifles play the role of Designated Marksmen than snipers. DMs are the people that stay with the team to take the shots that the team can't make.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 pm

There'd be no epic battle; you would be dead before you knew what hit you. Those were the golden days of the Dom and Steevo stalker team. Now we just use Facebook for stalking.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 pm

.....quality cocky input by steevo... lol

Well then I challenge you 2. Lets have some fun

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Also, there is Kory with his trademark short, direct, and 100% correct replies.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:49 pm

I can't be bothered to run with Dom anymore (being an milsim elitist pig and all that), so feel free to come find me.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:56 pm

airsoftsniper11 wrote:So what kind of internals should someone use to upgrade their spring pistol to sniper grade?
idk but its probably made by echo 1 or systema ptws

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Skywalker wrote:Also, there is Kory with his trademark short, direct, and 100% correct replies.
Yep. ;)