Buying tac gear

The this and that of airsoft.
TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Buying tac gear

Post by TeamBadCompany » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:46 pm

I have noticed that alot of people here and the people I play with get "airsoft" tac gear from airsoft companies. Isnt the gear almost the same as what the army uses? at the army surplus store in charleston an LBV is $20, i just did a quick search and there drop leg holsters for $50, army surplus is the cheapest and most durable stuff I know of, I'm wearing 20 year old BDUs right now and they are still great, the army makes good stuff, get it cheap from a surplus store and save yourself some money.
Bad Company till the day I die...
Got shot at:
Blackwater

Chippy
I do in fact have a life.

Re: Buying tac gear

Post by Chippy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:06 pm

The problem with a lot surplus stores that they rarely have a large variety of items to choose from. For example, I'm trying to get gear for my german loadout and finding flecktarn and wustentarn gear is extremely difficult. Another example, I was at my local army navy store the other day looking for desert tiger stripe stuff. The only way they could get it is if I payed $160 for them to order it. And that was just for the top and bottoms. Meanwhile, I could get desert tiger BDUs for $30 off a website. Once in a while I'll find a good deal at a surplus store but there are usually more options and better prices on the internet.

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 pm

the stuff at camo bunker bunker is reasonably priced, prob because we have an AF base. I heard the one in agusta or aiken is good too.
Got shot at:
Blackwater

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:13 pm

A lot of people do wear surplus gear, but if you want modern gear (as opposed to 20 year old gear) you generally have to buy it new.

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 pm

the modern gear, even modern army gear doesnt work where I am (in my opinion) woodland is the best, the new digi camo and stuff doesnt work great anywhere, its like a jack of all trades master of none, woodland and tiger stripe are the best.
Got shot at:
Blackwater

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 am

When I say modern gear, I don't mean ACUs. I mean plate carriers, chest rigs, hard shell drop leg holsters, hydration packs, etc, etc. Most surplus shops are limited to MOLLE or ALICE LBVs, basic belt rigs, and closed-top mag pouches.

cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by cantttype » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:52 am

Why use modern MOLLE vs LBV and such?
Better design, versatility and the attempt to look like the real thing.

The LBV's and LCE's are complete crap. You WILL lose magazines using those M16 pouches that hold 3. Also you are limited to the placement of mag pouches and any other pouch along the plane of your belt, and in that you are limited to how much you can hold.

MOLLE on the other hand allows you to add a multitude of various pouches to your gear and tailor your setup to whatever role you decide to play. DMR, rifleman, Gunner, Grenadier, sniper, ect... MOLLE grows with you as your needs change.

You dont need to spend a lot to get durable gear. You can get MOLLE surplus gear in woodland pattern. You will waste money in the long run buying the older LBV/LCE stuff.

Ask around about drop legs. If you get a cheap one it will flop around and be a pain to wear.

Hope this helps! :D

Gabe
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Gabe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 am

cantttype wrote:Why use modern MOLLE vs LBV and such?
Better design, versatility and the attempt to look like the real thing.
The LBV's and LCE's are complete crap. You WILL lose magazines using those M16 pouches that hold 3. Also you are limited to the placement of mag pouches and any other pouch along the plane of your belt, and in that you are limited to how much you can hold.
QFT-Being totally spoiled on my airsoft MOLLE made wearing the old school LBV suck in BCT. Our IBA's had MOLLE webbing on them, but instead we just wore old M81 LBV's over the top. You basically had to suffocate yourself to prevent your gear from sliding around. PALS webbing on any platform, be it vest, belt, or sub-load, is vastly superior to previous systems.
Ask around about drop legs. If you get a cheap one it will flop around and be a pain to wear.
No kidding. If you're going for a dropleg sidearm, you may just want to save yourself the headache and get a hip holster. Even gucci rigs with ~467 points of contact slide around on your leg.

Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Gambler » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:24 am

TeamBadCompany wrote:the modern gear, even modern army gear doesnt work where I am (in my opinion) woodland is the best, the new digi camo and stuff doesnt work great anywhere, its like a jack of all trades master of none, woodland and tiger stripe are the best.
While I agree that woodland is a good pattern and it great in places it simply isn't good for everywhere. Not to mention the fact that if everyone wore woodland it would make it hard to break teams down. IMO MC is the best all around camo, but obviously works best in spring and fall when there are more colors in the woods. I don't agree with you on the digital camo. The woodland MARPAT is a great pattern and works at least as well as woodland.

cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by cantttype » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 pm

IMO MC is the best all around camo,

The US Senate, US Army and myself agree with you as well. :D

Gambler
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Gambler » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:19 pm

cantttype wrote:
IMO MC is the best all around camo,

The US Senate, US Army and myself agree with you as well. :D
That doesn't make me feel much better considering the same folks are the ones that decided to go with ACU...

cantttype
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by cantttype » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 pm

That is a long story the ultimate goal was MC, but CryeP had certain rights that prevented its adoption. ACU was more of a statement. ;)

Echo1 Operator
Echo1 Rep
Echo1 Rep

Post by Echo1 Operator » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Multicam is soooo 2005. The better your camo pattern is, the more hits it takes to kill you.

TeamBadCompany
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by TeamBadCompany » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Gambler wrote:
TeamBadCompany wrote: I don't agree with you on the digital camo. The woodland MARPAT is a great pattern and works at least as well as woodland.
I wasnt refering as much to woodland coloration digicamo as much ACU, which is what my friend on my team wants :'( and he wont listen when i tell him it sucks
Got shot at:
Blackwater

Romba

Post by Romba » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:54 pm

My army-navy store has absolutely NO molle gear :'(