Your pistols do not have an automatic 0ft MED

The this and that of airsoft.
Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Your pistols do not have an automatic 0ft MED

Post by Star_folder » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Having run the chrono for a while and quite a few games, it seems the most common thing to happen is people believe they don't need to chrono their pistols. Something about them being small must surely mean that they only have a 0ft MED. Well, this is simply not the case. Gas guns, especially CO2 guns can chrono ridiculously hot, and need to be chronoed. When running the chrono we try to catch them, but often times we don't. As good players, I'm asking my fellow AOSC'ers to make sure that people have chronoed their guns, including their pistols.

I got shot by a gun who was chronoed at 560fps wtih .25s, and an unchronoed Co2 pistol. Can you guess which shot is which?

That bloody one is from the Co2 pistol 20ft away (and that's punching through my shirt, by the way). The red mark to the bottom right, just under the middle of the picture, is from a gun shooting at the bleeding edge of the fps limits from 150ft away. This is both the reason why you must chrono your pistols, and why we have MEDs.

Just be aware, when you or your plans play with a gun that they don't know what the fps is on it, they can really hurt someone.
[align=center]Image[/align]

2nd Ranger
AJAXian
AJAXian

Re: Your pistols do not have an automatic 0ft MED

Post by 2nd Ranger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Thank you Kory, this thread needs to be sticky'd so everybody will have a chance to see this, I hate it when I see people using CO2 handguns, because they almost always try to use them up close.

And lucky for you Kory, you got off easy with what just appears to be a bad bleeder, as that fps from that distance can and should do a lot worse.

Long story short Crono EVERY single gun you bring onto the field, even those "stock" TM's

fallout11
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by fallout11 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 am

Excellent point Kory.
A word on CO2 pistols, most were originally designed to shoot .177 cal BB's first and foremost (a ~5.00 gram projectile, i.e. 20x the weight of a .25g airsoft BB), you can readily find the same models in that caliber, and the 6mm airsoft version contains virtually (if not identically) the same internals, which is why they tend to shoot so "hot" for airsoft out of the box.
That said, NBB versions are incredibly easy to modify to permanently reduce the velocity to a more acceptable level simply by disassembling and clipping a coil or two off the main spring, as internally they are identical to old skool mechanical pump, blowback, electro mechanical hammer/valve paintball guns (i.e. Nelson/Nelspot 007 and Sheridan PGP to Tippman 98, A-5, Kingman Spyder, etc.) and operate much the same way. Reducing the spring tension reduces the force with which the hammer strikes the valve pin, releasing less (volume) of gas with each shot, reducing velocity. Takes all of 5 minutes (chrono after to ensure effectiveness), and in return you can stop hurting the people you are playing with and get more shots per cartridge as a bonus.

theboss62
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by theboss62 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm

You have to chronograph every single weapon you are planning to shoot people with in an airsoft game. Why do people not listen/read the rules.
Team AJAX
Arsenal- in the works
Fulda Gap 10**OPMantis**OP Viper**OP Phantom Hawk**OP Mantis II**OP Attrition**OP Banshee**TDC**
Dominum wrote: "We are chairsofting, but in a MilSim sort of way".

Skywalker
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Skywalker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a feeling most of these people are not even forum members, let alone read through all the rules.
[align=center]I'm here to hate your M4[/align]

Mr. Marauder
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mr. Marauder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 pm

fallout11 wrote:Excellent point Kory.
A word on CO2 pistols, most were originally designed to shoot .177 cal BB's first and foremost

A couple years ago, I'd agree, but now, not so much the case. There are numerous models available, (mostly blowback) that don't shoot too hot. Case in point, Elite Force produces CO2 pistols that shoot in the 310-340 range with .25s. KWC/KJW also manufacture some that are near this. This is largely due to the blowback and full metal slide that is absorbing some of the pressure. It's been my experience the ones to look out for are the cheap non-blowback varieties commonly found in the $20-$50 range.

[align=center]V[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

In fact, one individual earned himself a 20ft MED on his Elite Force Co2 pistol.

This pistol in question, was a non blow back pistol, and was an M1911 shape that was silver. I did not hold it, I only looked at it. But I agree, it's the cheap, clear walmart pistols that are the problem children.

Hatch
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Hatch » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 am

The real problem is, you letting someone get that close to you :P

ibeezthecapn

Post by ibeezthecapn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 am

Ooh I smell some walmart haterade. I bought a 40 dollar umarex hk USP from Walmart. It is a non blowback co2 pistol that fires about 335fps. I don't know about other folks but I chrono every gun every match every time no matter what. that being said, I have seen this pistol leave some welts, even outside of my med...

I can't really speak for the folks that run the swamp because I am NOT them obviously but please let it be known that if anyone See's anyone shooting with a weapon that has not been run through the chrono that person should be made to leave immediately
AEA airsofter, Anywhere Everywhere Anytime

Last Game OP Vietnam Patrol - US CO - Win

THANK YOU!!

Mr. Marauder
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mr. Marauder » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

ibeezthecapn wrote:Ooh I smell some walmart haterade.
More like disapproval of a sidearm that necessitates a 100 ft MED. It's illogical and defeats the purpose of the weapon.

[align=center]V[/align]

wpnXer
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by wpnXer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:17 pm

When it comes to safety there should be no excuses. I am sure that many of you don't go to games to get hurt, unfortunately some people attend games because they want to inflict harm on others.

I would confront any person using a pistol (or anything) shooting that hot or ignoring MED's. I know some people might be ignorant to the impact of a .25 pellet shooting 450+ fps, but after they know there is no excuse for breaking MED's or fps rules. Immaturity can play a part, but there needs to be growth in maturity and respect when playing airsoft. I would get really pissed if that happened to me and stop 'playing' and address the issue. Heck, I get pissed when someone is using a laser to shine in other peoples eyes. Causing eye damage is not cool.

The thing is that SAFETY is a priority. People should get pissed off if other players are not being safe, and especially if it impact your own personal safety.

Gerbilizer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Gerbilizer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 pm

ibeezthecapn wrote:t is a non blowback co2 pistol that fires about 335fps.
Is that with a .2 or .25?
Polarstar refills here- http://www.southcarolinaairsoft.com/php ... =58&t=6879
Romba wrote:I just want to shoot everyone. :P
[align=center]V[/align]

ibeezthecapn

Post by ibeezthecapn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 am

Lasers in the eye will get you kicked out of the swamp most def. We have zip ties at the swamp that are color coded to the different meds. No zip tie? Tell em go chrono.

THANK YOU!!

Avenger

Post by Avenger » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 am

I hate to be that guy, but I had a "wound" just like that on my leg from a Walmart springer from about ten feet away, through a t-shirt.
I do not always accidentally, but when I do, I accidentally the whole thing.

ibeezthecapn

Post by ibeezthecapn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am

well that guy must have accidentally the whole thing at the chrono

THANK YOU!!