Midcaps vs. Hicaps

The this and that of airsoft.
specter
I do in fact have a life.

Midcaps vs. Hicaps

Post by specter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm

What's the main reason people use mids? I get that they're quieter and more realistic but the fact that they normally hold around 100 rounds puts you at a major disadvantage compared to anybody using a hicap.

I personally use high caps due to a bout of hit calling problems at a game a while back. It's nice to have the option of pelting someone into submission if they decide not to call it the first time. It also allows me to more effectively lay down cover fire for teammates. More rounds downrange generally means less heads poking from behind cover. Hicaps also allow me to stay in the game longer. I normally run with 8 mags, each holding 300 rounds, totaling about 2,400 rounds. Though I'm a walking maracca, I theoretically have the potential to kill roughly 2,400 people. Compare that to the 800 I could kill if I was using mids. In theory, using hicaps I can kill 3 times as many people as with mids.

Anyway, what do you use and why? Personal preference, stealth, or just because hi caps are too mainstream?
>Implying I'm not going to just shoot you in the face

TokenTech89

Re: Midcaps vs. Hicaps

Post by TokenTech89 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 pm

For realism. They feed alot better, without having to wind it up. They are also easier to figure out if something is wrong with them.

I use high caps for day time for the non hit calling players.

Night time I have either my 3 VN high caps, or about 4 mid caps. I dont shoot much at night, so no need to have that many.

"In the dark recesses of the mind, a disease known as FEAR feasts upon the souls of those who cannot overcome ITs power."

Romba

Post by Romba » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Got two kills today because of hi-cap maracas, and wouldn't have noticed them otherwise. I've got nothing against them, and I will definitely use them in my 40+ RPS fn2k, as flash mags are about all that will keep up, and mid caps are impractical at that RPS. Each have their merits.
Click the link above to check out my channel for reviews and gameplay!

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:27 pm

High caps are for your SC-soft games where you have to lay down a lot of fire to get the distance or brush.
Midcaps are for your harder games because your gun has the range and power it needs to get through the brush or distance, and also it eliminates the rattle and wind.

I normally run midcaps because I can "normally" get someone within the first burst on semi. A normal AOSC op Ill run through 6 mid caps exact. On a skirmish game ill run through a high cap and a half in a hour game.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 pm

High caps are better than mid caps and no one really seems to understand that.
[align=center]Image[/align]

mives
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mives » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Because in the time that it takes you to find the tiny wheel on the bottom of you mag and wound the thing a couple of times, I've already dumped my mag and indexed a fresh mag with bbs that are immediately ready to be fired at you the moment the mag settles in the receiver.

Firefights are measured in seconds, not by thousands of kills.

p.s. Accuracy on target is as effective if not more effective at suppressing an enemy than volume of fire.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton

C Taylor
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by C Taylor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:01 am

I like using my 2000 rd mag on my bolt action sniper rifle so I can get 2000 one shot kills without reloading.

Iam_Hoss
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Iam_Hoss » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:27 am

Now that^^^^^^ makes sense. As I was hit with at least a thousand of them yesterday at PBC.
The last game I attended was- Op Iron Marches
Polarstar refills here- HPA REFILLS
[align=center]V[/align]

Star_folder
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Star_folder » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:34 pm

100rnd Midcaps aren't nearly as much of a disadvantage as you might think. There are even 190rnd midcaps on the market now, and that's as much as some of the smaller highcaps. IMO, it's really about the player style. You need to remember that this game isn't just about shooting the people across from you, for many, they enjoy the simulated realism of the combat.

2nd Ranger
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by 2nd Ranger » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:30 pm

I only use high caps in my guns

marpat96

Post by marpat96 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:48 pm

High caps sometimes, mid caps sometimes. I have no preference, I don't care, and I usually get close to people without shooting too much anyways.
Last game I went to: Redfox, March 29th, 2014
(Stolen from Gerbilizer :D)

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:34 pm

I use whatever is appropriate to the specific situation.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:50 pm

I have used hicaps no more than a half dozen times over the last ~5 years and never felt a disadvantage from it. On the other hand, I never shoot more than a 2 or 3 round burst and wait to shoot until I am close enough to actually hit my target (foreign concepts to many players).

I actually showed up to my first SCAA game with a CYMA Thompson and 8 110 round midcaps. Fancy that, a noob with mids!
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Doublewolf

Post by Doublewolf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Winding is annoying and wastes much more time than simply reloading which I can do pretty quickly.

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:31 am

When gearing up to hit the field I just grab the closet mag to me that fits my style of gun. If its a high cap I use it. If its a mid cap I use it. Doesn't matter what kind it may be, it feeds bbs into my shoot-em-device. That's good enough for me.
Veteran of:
OP: Second Sun OP: Iron Marches
OP: Phantom Hawk
OP: Phantom Hawk II
OP: Blackwater
TDC
SGC
OP: Vietnam Patrol
OP: Decisive Force