Proper Matienece

I broke my gun!
Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Proper Matienece

Post by Hotspur93 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 pm

So as the TDC comes nearer i feel that I should do a better job at maintaining my gear. So for starters i want to know what should be the proper way to lube the internals of my weapon. Oh and if there was already a post similar to this just tell me im a noob and ill look harder for it xD
Veteran of:
OP: Second Sun OP: Iron Marches
OP: Phantom Hawk
OP: Phantom Hawk II
OP: Blackwater
TDC
SGC
OP: Vietnam Patrol
OP: Decisive Force

Doublewolf
I do in fact have a life.

Re: Proper Matienece

Post by Doublewolf » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:14 am

Unless you know how to take apart a mechbox, you won't want to do this yourself. Get a tech like Dom or Gabe to help you. This doesn't need to be done that, often, though.

What you should do, pretty much after every game, is clean the barrel.
Dominum wrote:
7: "How and when should I clean my barrel?"
  You should clean your airsoft gun's barrel after every game, or at least every other one, depending on how many rnds you went through, and any debris that may have gotten in, etc.. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this. First, remove your mag and clear the chamber by firing it on semi. Secondly, turn the hopup all the way off. Thirdly, use an airsoft "unjamming rod" that is longer then your barrel. Cut pieces of papertowel or a similar material that won't leave large amounts of "fluff" in there (like TP, don't use that), but make sure it can compress, most cloths don't do that well and may be too loose. Cut it into sections approx. 1" by 2". Fold it in half lengthwise and slip it through the eye on the cleaning rod. Rotate it so it makes a cylindrical "plug". Add some 100% silicon oil to it, and put it into the barrel. It should be tight, and you should swab out the entire barrel while rotating it. Continue to do this with new pieces with silicon oil until they come out clean. Then do the same thing, but with NO silicon oil, at least twice, and until the pieces come out both clean and dry. The purpose is to remove buildup, and then to remove the silicon oil that you used initially. You do not ever want any type of lubricant in your barrel, or on your hopup.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:52 am

Yep, lubrication of the internals is not something to be done often, though a typical AEG should have a tuneup after you buy it. Once it is already properly cleaned, lubricated, shimmed, and given a good Oring during the tune up, it should only be inspected internally once a year, unless of course there are failures prior. That tech tips post he linked should be able to answer the most commonly asked questions about AEGs.

Remember though, if you leave your gun in a closet for two years and your dad is a beekeeper, you may want to have it checked out as it could have honey in the barrel, hopup chamber, and gearbox. Ah-he-hem...
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:00 am

Yeah i had read that and i already lubed and cleaned the internals of my sniper since it is relatively simple to disassemble. I am worried about my Thompson though. I have lubed the internals or anything since i got it about a year ago. I haven't done this mainly because I don't just want to take it to some one and have them do it for me i actually want to learn how to do it properly myself so that i can work on all of my own guns. I know it would seem easier just to take it to you Dom or Gabe but what good would that do me when i get new guns? Also i want to be able to do more then just maintenance i want to be able to change the springs and just about be able to build a gun from the ground up. Lol i guess mainly what i am asking is someone to teach me how to be a proper tech ;D ;D

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:44 pm

As it says in my thread, I prefer that those who have me work on their guns come watch and learn, basically a free several hour lesson is included in my standard labor fee ;). Hmmm, maybe I should do a class or something? It would help me out if more people would learn to do their own basic gun work, plus I think knowing the insides of your gun helps you appreciate the sport more.

Romba

Post by Romba » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Dominum wrote: Hmmm, maybe I should do a class or something?
I second this notion. (or is it motion? I really have no idea.)

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 pm

I'd take that class!

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm

I wouldn't mind doing a full Sunday afternoon/evening class sometime, everyone could bring their gun (preferably as many different kinds as possible) and some basic tools. I could set up some tables and chairs in my living room and kitchen, and we could go gun by gun, how to disassemble it down to the GB, then we can go over each version and their variants, then we can go over hopup chambers and barrels. Since everyone would have the basic tools and a different kind of gun, everyone would gain practical hands on knowledge of their gun, and see others as well. Watching and doing it yourself, in my opinion, is the best way to learn this sort of thing. My wife would probably be OK with us taking over the house all day if I charge a paltry sum like $5 a head or something. See, when I make something, even if it is minimal, it then turns it from a "useless expensive hobby" into a worthwhile pursuit, and then she is OK with it (a trick that applies to both wives and mothers LOL).

*Disclaimer: the fact that I may offer a class does NOT mean that I am teh bestezt tech evar, or that I think I know everything about AEGs (far from it), or think I am totally awesome or anything at all like that. But, I have worked on a lot of guns of a lot of different kinds and think it makes this sport more fulfilling when people know more about their weapons and can have the satisfaction of having made them what they are with their own hands.

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 pm

I would most deffinately pay $5 for a class where I can learn how to work on my gun and be able to feel competent when I need to work on it or upgrade. Right now my biggest fear is that I will break my gun or something. @Dom you are the best tech I know so why would I not want to show up to your class?? XD

Darkside6
I like this place!
I like this place!

Re: Proper Maintenance

Post by Darkside6 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:36 pm

I would drive down from Greenville for that class if you offer it on the weekend. (I'm working in Cincinnati Ohio now)
Hey Dom, send an e-mail from your website about it.
Snipers: America's long distance service provider since 1776
Canebrake Militia

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm

A lot of my wife's family is in Cincinnati. If you pick me up some Skyline I will love you forever ;)

I guess I need to pick a weekend for this...
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:02 pm

If this happens, I will get all of LHAT to come and learn. Saves me the trouble and saves you a trip to Lexington

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Wow... OK, that's awesome and as many people as possible should learn but there is not enough room at my house for that. Anyone have a church or something with tables and a large room somewhere near an Interstate in Lexington we could use?
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:10 pm

Hehe welll, I have a cafeteria, little theater, big theater, and over 100 classrooms :P

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes, but they don't allow replicas of firearms on campus, do they?
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]