good radio setup

I broke my gun!
majiccity54
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

good radio setup

Post by majiccity54 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:04 pm

I need a radio, and a headset. I don't know where to buy one from, but i need a good setup. Can anyone give me a set up that you have that's good and under $145.

Doublewolf
I do in fact have a life.
I do in fact have a life.

Re: good radio setup

Post by Doublewolf » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm

SteevoLS wrote:Are you a young player who is struggling to have his cries for help heard from the other side of a tin building? Are you an experienced player trying to get directions to Burger King from the other side of the county? Are you a gear whore who spent so much on an elastic cummerbund that you can't afford your cell phone bill for the month?

LOOK NO FURTHER!

Yes, hope is to be found! If you can scrape together a few jacksons you too can have a programmable radio boasting a 5w transmitter (on paper), replaceable antenna, excellent battery life, and standard Kenwood 2-pin headset/speaker options!

Baefeng 888s for $22.27
USB cable for $3.50
Speaker mic with headphone jack for $8.99

See? For less than a Wallyworld Midland Saturday Night Special you can have a radio that will keep up with the big dogs!
http://www.aosc.us/forums/viewtopic.php ... dio#p84747

I bought this, and it's great. Programming it was a bit of a pain because the software that came with it was terrible, but I used a program called Chirp, and after messing with it for a few minutes I got it to work. I programmed in FRS channels 1-14 which are technically the only ones a person can use without an FCC callsign. I tested it with my Motorola Talkabout, and it worked well.

The mic Steevo linked to has a headphone jack. I also have a throat mic, but the cheap throat mics have poor sound quality, so I'd recommend using the one Steevo linked to with headphones.

If you want to be able to program more channels and be able to program without using a computer (which was a pain), this is still in your price range:
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-136 ... ds=baofeng

shadowhawk
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Re: good radio setup

Post by shadowhawk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:54 pm

I have a baofeng and love it. My only advice is be careful if you go with ztactical for your headset, the headset is great but the ptt are picky and break with about 6 months of use with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God will judge my enemies, well arrange the meeting.