Re: OP24-3

Post by painmaker » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

im comeing im off work yaaaaayyyyyyy

hwong30
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by hwong30 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:38 am

i have a question cuz ive never been to 24hr ops before. ive only been to the one-day deals. do a lot of people leave before the end of the entire op?

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 pm

hwong30 wrote:i have a question cuz ive never been to 24hr ops before. ive only been to the one-day deals. do a lot of people leave before the end of the entire op?
Yeah, the numbers tend to dwindle during the night, but a few hardcore guys staying awake can make the night portion an unforgettable experience.

cr0ssf1r33
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by cr0ssf1r33 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:32 am

do you guys have games here a lot? or do you hold games at other areas too?

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:11 pm

The best answer to your question is the stickyed thread right above this one, the one that says "Complete AOSC Game Schedule". It lists all of the fields we play, and gives their locations.

As far as people dropping out during 24hr games, yes, there are those among us that either can not (due to work, school, etc.) stick with it, or those who just don't have what it takes. However, at OP24 II we had almost 80% of Alpha faction still in play when the game ended on Sunday. The important thing is to come prepared to play for 24hrs. Bring enough food, water, batteries, and everything you will need to live, sleep, and fight in the field of battle for an entire afternoon, night, and morning. The 24 hr games are also the utmost in taxation upon command structure, because commanders (unless they are daft) have to assign strict sleeping shifts, sentry shifts, and offense shifts during the night, as well as making sure that units are cycled out throughout the daylight hours for meals and breaks from front line duty. These games are the only ones that really give a sense of the massive affect logistics have on military planning and execution of strategy.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Avenger
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Avenger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:22 pm

I vote Dominum for Alpha CO!
I do not always accidentally, but when I do, I accidentally the whole thing.

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Too tired to look, but i believe he said he wouldnt. Let some guys who havent done it step up.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

C Taylor
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by C Taylor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:42 pm

An option to throw out on the table. Can we limit the number of NVG per team this time? I know not many SC people have them but it sucks when one team has 5 compared to the other team with 20.

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am

Thats if the GA guys come out, if not then there shouldnt be an issue.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:38 pm

First of all, limiting night vision like they do at Fulda is a horrible idea. Distributing it evenly amongst the teams is perfectly reasonable though. Second, most of the Ga guys who have nice NV don't travel much for games; they simply made an exception for TDC. Third, all of the complaints about Ga tanks and night vision have made a few people feel unwelcome and unwanted in SC so if those people do travel it would probably be in another direction.

Also, night vision is an amazing tool to use in open spaces, such as the big fields at the Airfarm. It doesn't actually work that well in the thickly wooded areas, which is why Team Aircross was easily able to run over one of the bases at TDC that had no fewer than two $3000 night vision units guarding it. Good tactics beat expensive equipment every time.

None of that is to say that Ga didn't have an advantage, that is simply the reason why I don't care for the idea of border wars. I like the ability to redistribute gear as needed. That game made it difficult to move guys with tanks or night vision around to make it fair.

GARRETT

Post by GARRETT » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Just a few things to throw out there.... some of which has already been mentioned above.

1. This will be a full 24 hour game, so come prepared. Having enough water, batteries, food and what not is what will make the difference. Like Dom said, most of Alpha stayed on the field the full game.. just by being prepared.

2. Charley team as of right now is full. Sorry if you missed out, but you should have responded sooner.

3. Still need a CO for Bravo faction. If you are interested let me know ASAP... But please remember this is much different than your normal AOSC game for command staff. Read Dom's response on page 9.
UF_Jester wrote:First of all, limiting night vision like they do at Fulda is a horrible idea. Distributing it evenly amongst the teams is perfectly reasonable though. Second, most of the Ga guys who have nice NV don't travel much for games; they simply made an exception for TDC. Third, all of the complaints about Ga tanks and night vision have made a few people feel unwelcome and unwanted in SC so if those people do travel it would probably be in another direction.

Also, night vision is an amazing tool to use in open spaces, such as the big fields at the Airfarm. It doesn't actually work that well in the thickly wooded areas, which is why Team Aircross was easily able to run over one of the bases at TDC that had no fewer than two $3000 night vision units guarding it. Good tactics beat expensive equipment every time.

None of that is to say that Ga didn't have an advantage, that is simply the reason why I don't care for the idea of border wars. I like the ability to redistribute gear as needed. That game made it difficult to move guys with tanks or night vision around to make it fair.
I agree on not limiting night vision, and that it would be best if we could evenly distribute such advantages. But it is what it is, and there was no way of changing what happened at TDC.

I personally didn't hear a lot of complaining about the tanks or NVG's at the game, and I was on the field the entire time. Sure some guys may have given up due to the NVG advantage during the night, but as you know, not all did. We found out that you can use a cheap gen 1 set of goggles to spot the gen 3s from way off. lol

Lastly as everyone knows, there will always be someone complaining at every game. Don't let the complaints of a few destroy the fun for all. If the GA guys got a bad taste in there mouth over that little junk, tell em to get some listerine and let's shoot some folks. Hope to have some of you guys at OP24-3.

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:00 pm

I agree on not limiting night vision, and that it would be best if we could evenly distribute such advantages. But it is what it is, and there was no way of changing what happened at TDC.

I personally didn't hear a lot of complaining about the tanks or NVG's at the game, and I was on the field the entire time. Sure some guys may have given up due to the NVG advantage during the night, but as you know, not all did. We found out that you can use a cheap gen 1 set of goggles to spot the gen 3s from way off. lol

Lastly as everyone knows, there will always be someone complaining at every game. Don't let the complaints of a few destroy the fun for all. If the GA guys got a bad taste in there mouth over that little junk, tell em to get some listerine and let's shoot some folks. Hope to have some of you guys at OP24-3.[/quote]

How were you able to spot Gen 3's with Gen 1's? Was it by the green glint that they produce on the user's eyes or were some of us just freely using our IR illuminators? That's a tendency some of us have when we think we're the only ones using NV.

VoidSuicide

Post by VoidSuicide » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

The way I heard it was that when a gen 3 was spotted by a gen 1 it was like looking at a torch or other random bright spot in the dark.
[align=center]Back from the dead?

Image[/align]

UF_Jester
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by UF_Jester » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Other way around. That's not even 100% true though. I don't mean to make it seem like Ga had an awful time at the game or anything like that, it's just that NV users tend to get a bunch of comments about how they aren't really good players just because they use night vision so we get a bit defensive. It helps, but it doesn't shoot players for you.

I actually have a bunch of stuff posted on another forum that helps fight at night against night vision as well as against players without it. I'll copy it onto this forum somewhere (general discussion maybe?) It's some basic ideas that cost little if at all to pull off.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:19 pm

All I will say is that I don't care if you have NVG's or not. Strong tactics will equalize any advantage of them. I look forward to playing against anybody at OP 24-3 that may have them. Yes, I will get shot by them, but I will bet that I will shoot them also.
Jester, I really hope you are able to make the trip.
I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past.  [Cpl. Jeff Sornig, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994]

"To observe a Marine is inspirational, to be a Marine is exceptional." - Unknown

▲
▲ ▲