Build/Skirmish Day @ Airfarm April 26th

Information about past games.
mives
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Build/Skirmish Day @ Airfarm April 26th

Post by mives » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Updated 3/23

You read correctly! We will be building some additional fortifications at the Airfarm in April. The Buck tower is about to get a serious make-over. The finished look will be similar to fort Bravo (Rex) at CDWC, for those that have been to Fulda Gap. MOST of the materials have been found for the construction and the design has been finalized and approved by the field owner and myself. We just need the manpower! (and womenpower!!) to create a viable FOB around the buck tower.

Saturday will consist of a half day of work, a lunch break, and a half day of airsoft. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, YOU NEED TO WORK. This is primarily a build day, but we also want to have some fun! And hopefully in a newly constructed base #2.

Any donations are welcome and will be put towards purchase of additional material to help build the field in the NEAR future!

What to bring:
-THICK work gloves (no thin "Mechanix" style gloves, or half-finger gloves)
-Shovel (of any form and function that moves dirt)
-hammer
**Bring as many of the previously mentioned items as you can and write your name on everything you bring so we can ensure everyone is properly equipped**
-Airsoft gear
-LOTS OF WATER (some water coolers will be on site, but bring as much extra water as you can)

If you have other specialty equipment such as:
-cordless power saws or other cutting instruments
-saw horse
-large ruler/combination square
please contact me directly via PM. DO NOT bring these unless you've talked to me prior. We don't need many of them.

If you have any of these materials in bulk just lying around or that you can get for free, please PM me:
1. Large wooden stakes*
2. Re-bar*
3. Large nails
4. Plywood
5. 2x4's or similar sized boards
6. Any other construction materials you think may be appropriate
We have most everything we need except something to keep wooden structures secured in place, which is why the first two items are star'ed.

(P.S. We have a small contingent of folks going up to the Airfarm the Saturday before to do some prep-work with myself, if you've got absolutely nothing better to do on your Saturday off of airsoft, or your motivated to put in some extra time, let me know.)

Address:470 Halfacre Rd. Newberry, SC

Date:
Saturday, April 26th

Price:
Some manual labor!

Itinerary:

0800-1000 We will brief and assign work as people arrive. the earlier you show, the sooner we can finish.

~1300 Consolidate work, clean up, and break for lunch.

1330-1500 Chrono open and lunch break

1500 Airsoft game begins

1700 game over

GAME RULES
-Channel 1 is for admin, call me on channel 1 if you have any problems or questions at any time.
-Deadrags required (it's been a rule for some time, there's no excuse)
-All AOSC rules apply (They can be found here: http://www.aosc.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=646 )
-Bring a radio or you won't know what is going on. This will be useful during the building!
-Camo restrictions will be lifted for this game. Teams will have to rely on verbal communication and IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) to determine who is on what team. More details in pre-game briefing.
-Stay hydrated! Work will dehydrate you even more so than normal! Water will be on the work site, but always bring you own!!
-This build will go on with no cancellations for weather, unless dirt roads become impassable, or vision is impaired by heavy rain.

MEDIC RULES
I will be experimenting with medic rules for this game. If you have an old white t-shirt that you can cut up, bring white t-shirt material cut into at least 1.5" by 18" strips (as many as you can). If you don't have a t-shirt you can destroy, I should have enough to cover 5-10 people. (hint: one old t-shirt can make about 14 strips)

Waiver:
If you are UNDER 18 years of age and will not have a parent or legal guardian with you at registration to sign, have them sign one now and bring it with you:
PDF:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2384789 ... m-47k?da=y
Word File:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2384790 ... m-13k?da=y
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton

Bishop
Gold Team
Gold Team

Re: Build/Skirmish Day @ Airfarm April 26th

Post by Bishop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:23 pm

I get that its paying for his gas, but did anyone else seriously start laughing when they saw its a work day, and you are literally paying for the privilege to do manual labor?

Does he have any cotton I can pick while I am at it?
Gold Team
I am a bit of a jerk.
There have been a lot of games since the last fatality. Roses are red, violets are blue, so is your car at 102

mives
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mives » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Why yes. We will actually be digging trenches to irrigate the crop fields we will also be building. I think Cotton is going to be this year’s boom crop. Of course, it costs money to invest in good cotton seed for planting. Gotta make sure we get a bunch of good harvest weekends. After all, you plant the seeds of success and reap the rewards in the end. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You get out of it what you put in. Insert more sound reasoning here. The “cotton” field we will build together may just come out to a pretty bountiful harvest of even better “cotton picking” later. People might notice how freaking awesome our cotton is and come by to pick it with us. Because after all, that’s why we all are here in the first place. To "pick cotton”. It may take a day or two of planting the “cotton”, which I grant you is no easy task and requires some effort and sacrifice. But in the end, is it not worth every bit of knowing that you put something into this sport of “cotton picking” and got something greater out of it? You know, I don’t even mind if you don’t donate five dollars to improve the field. I’d rather have your blood, sweat, (and possible tears), so we can improve South Carolina’s “cotton picking” sport. Image the “cotton picking” events we could host at the Airfarm after this build day. I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a cotton picking good time.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/metaphor
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

C Taylor
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by C Taylor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Bishop wrote:I get that its paying for his gas, but did anyone else seriously start laughing when they saw its a work day, and you are literally paying for the privilege to do manual labor?

Does he have any cotton I can pick while I am at it?
I completely disagree with your comment and found it to be lacking with any thought process behind it.

The Airfarm is a field with incredible potential. The problem is that it is not being worked on. The only person who devoted so much time to it was Garrett. And now since he is busy, the field basically goes untouched. This is an opportunity to improve this field for future games. Whether people like the idea or not, this is an AMAZING opportunity to increase a field that we regularly play on. The reason that Airsoft in SC is becoming stagnant is because we are just settling for what we have. We have been given a chance to make this field more fun for all SC airsofters.

As far as the measly $5. We have been able to secure wooden pallets from the University of South Carolina to use for structure making. The money goes for the gas so that the field owner can travel to columbia and load them into a trailer to be taken back to the field. It is completely justifiable. Not to mention, a few airsofters (myself included) will be spending our time to load them onto the trailer.

If you are completely happy with the current condition of the field and think that improving it is a bad idea. Don't come. But I won't hesitate to call out anyone that says "man this field sucks" because now is the chance to do something about it for once.

Airsoft is a game by the players and for the players. This will help in our efforts to start having better games in this state.

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:23 pm

I might come out if I'm free but you can be sure I won't be paying for anyone else's gas. Normal games have field fees and field fees cover operating expenses. I could probably get some rebar scraps from work.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

Bishop
Gold Team
Gold Team

Post by Bishop » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:32 pm

First, I have spent years developing SQA along with Gold Team and the chaps. In that time( 5+ years), not once has Mr. Escue asked for money, for building and working on the field. They have poured their own money into that field, and made it nice. Airfarm does no such thing. The money they get goes right into profit, all the work on the field is done by others, and to me that is absolutely ridiculous. So yes, I find it objectionable to PAY the FIELD OWNER to improve his own field!

How do you not see that as a problem???
Gold Team
I am a bit of a jerk.
There have been a lot of games since the last fatality. Roses are red, violets are blue, so is your car at 102

mives
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mives » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I understand the work that the Escues have done, and I'm grateful for them taking the initiative to improve SC Airsoft. But we cannot compare field owners. I will not demand that the Airfarm owner improve his field. However, I will work with him and take initiative into my own hands to improve OUR airsoft field. Unfortunately, I am not blessed with a fat bank account, and it is not my place to assume the Airfarm's field owner is either. It was my idea in the first place to request $5 from the players. If you'll look above, I have redacted that requirement.

Bottom line: I'm working with what I have. You can choose to help, or not.

If anyone has any other questions or concerns, please address them to me in private with a personal message. This thread is for an up coming build day/skirmish, and not a economics debate. Thank you.

marpat96
I do in fact have a life.

Post by marpat96 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 am

This might be a good time to come get my feet wet with USC Airsoft, I can come. Show you guys how to work hard
Last game I went to: Redfox, March 29th, 2014
(Stolen from Gerbilizer :D)

specter

Post by specter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:33 am

I'm there. I'm so there.
>Implying I'm not going to just shoot you in the face

GARRETT

Post by GARRETT » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:22 pm

To those who wish to help Mives I salute you, to the complainers I say who cares. Stay home and cry about it. I will be there if I am in state that day.

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I will be there. This is a good idea and I can't wait to see what comes of it.
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

mives
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mives » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Update: I talked with the Airfarm owner and he has expressed that he doesn't need $5 from everyone.

I realize that there may be some animosity towards the way some people operate their fields, however I don't want that to get in the way of improving our airsoft experience. I want us to maintain communication and integrity with everyone involved. 'softers and field owner alike. I apologize for making an assumption that $5 a head to help improve an airsoft field would have been appropriate. My main objective is to build a large scale fortification that would make the Airfarm a better place to play airosft.

Thanks for y'alls support.

~mives

Iam_Hoss
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Iam_Hoss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:34 pm

I will be there
The last game I attended was- Op Iron Marches
Polarstar refills here- HPA REFILLS
[align=center]V[/align]

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:26 pm

I'll be there; working hard and playing hard! We had a build day once at RR and it was very beneficial, I imagine this will work out just as well.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

isaacK
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Post by isaacK » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:23 am

So I don't actually know much about what kinds of construction materials you have around SC but in the bee business we use a nearly indestructible plywood for making bee pallets and lids etc. In NY we can get a semi load of the used concrete form plywood for free if we pay the trucking. This stuff takes any weather conditions like a boss. For info on getting some of this stuff contact some of your local concrete/excavation contractors.

I still half to figure out if I can make it but I think I may be able too.