Video editor

If it's not airsoft related, then put it here.
Villid
I do in fact have a life.

Video editor

Post by Villid » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 am

Anyone know where i can download a decent free video editor?
Carolina Border Wars 2010
OP:AoWL
Op:White Noise 2
Op:Banshee
Op:Blackwater 2
Fulda Gap 2011 - NATO

Chippy

Re: Video editor

Post by Chippy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Ask nightsky. He does tons of editing.
Hawaii 5-0
Echo1 Scar-L
Cyma M14
TM MP7 AEP
TM AK74/105

blackout
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by blackout » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:20 pm

windows movie maker is free i think
"Accept the challenges so you can feel the exhilaration of victory" - Patton

SteevoLS
Admin
Admin

Post by SteevoLS » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:44 pm

There really is no easy to use, high quality free video editor out there. If you have a Mac, use iMovie. If you have a Windows PC, use Windows Movie Maker. Otherwise expect to pay a lot for something like Sony Vegas.
There's no kill switch on awesome!

nightSky
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by nightSky » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Good editor+free?
Hmm. Well free editors don't offer all capabilities you would get with a paid editor.
Usually free will give you the ability to use one specific thing that works really well.
wax 2.0 is free and is a compositor mixed with chromatography keying.
Just like imovie is a compositor and offers some effects
If you can tell me what your trying to do, and if this is a one time thing or not, I can give better details.

In this day in age the best I can recommend for amateurs are Adobe After Effects, Fusion , and nuke5.
I own all except Nuke.
After effects is my favorite if you're doing motion tracking, chroma, intro titles, and adding effects such as explosions/rockets/asteroids/muzzle flash, pause time, and it has a terrific particle builder.  The only thing it can't really do is implementing someone in 3d. Although it offers the ability to create 3d space and put objects into it.
it is truly a great investment. And very easy to use.

Fusion is also really great but is more of an Environment builder and works with 3d better than AE.

A program I didn't list is cinema 4d, I use this in conjunction with all my videos. It is a 3d program that allows you to build
ANYTHING and add it to a video. It was used in the creation of Spiderman(1,2,3), Surfs Up, pirates of Car.
You can create 3d environments and add them in with Fusion. Cinema 4d also is a spectacular tool to create video intros.
I've used it many times with video projects.

As I said its all what youre looking to do. Sony Vegas is a tremendously awesome composition program and I import all my videos into it to add the finishing touches and to align sounds with video. If its just compositing you're doing then get a trial of Sony Vegas.
Sony Vegas also offers minimal masking, chroma keying, it does have really cool transitions and noise generators though.

If you're looking for doing everything under the sun then After Effects is your choice. Except for 3d stuff.

I can vouch for all these programs. I own them and they are truly a great investment.
Last edited by nightSky on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse the war, with the warrior.