Mississippi Town Destroys Westboro Baptist Plans

If it's not airsoft related, then put it here.
slickridley
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: Mississippi Town Destroys Westboro Baptist Plans

Post by slickridley » Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Dominum wrote:Don't you just love it when people put words in God's mouth?

The Bible (God's word) is explicitly clear on homosexuality. Homos, ..yeah i'm not letting this rule 4 violation/bigotry stand, when you use your religion to promote hate I will call you out on it, ..... making it more than or less than that is a distortion of his words and is wrong. It doesn't do him any favors and serves to give those with whom he still wishes to have a personal relationship with (everyone not yet saved) an excuse not to become so.
The Christian god Jehovah claims very clearly that He knows all and created all. God also knows before even bothering to make a man that will that man will sin. It is a tenant of christianity that ALL humans sin. They have done it since the beginning of time (or at least since the incident in Eden.) God knew from the beginning his creation would not do as he wished.

The bible talks of a time before sin (in a way that you may or may not consider allegory.) However, regardless of weither or not they started out broken does not excuse gods imperfect creation. He is supposed to be perfect and all knowing. He then either creates a being that is incapable of living up to his perfect standards, either by mistake or on purpose.

If God did not purposely created a being that sins then he did it by mistake. But how could a perfect god make a mistake? He could not, or he is not perfect. Therefore God must have done it on purpose or otherwise intentionally allowed it to happen after creation. If he did make a mistake then his claims of being perfect are false. If he makes false claims he is no moral authority.

Now maybe you claim god did not make a mistake when he created man, but it is mans fault he learned of good an evil. Or, perhaps you blame satan, as he tempted humans into sinning. Either way, God allowed the knowledge of good and evil to exist in a way that man could understand and then allowed it to be introduced to man. This corruption God (the creator of man and our only way into a comfortable afterlife) hates so much that he would cast his creation (which he says he loves) into hell for behaving in a way that He knew man would and knows man will continue to do.

What if God just wasn't paying attention at the time humans learned of right and wrong? Even if the idea of God ignoring humans for some period of time seems reasonable to you, the idea that something as perfect as Gods creation made in His own image could be corrupted in Gods perfect garden cannot possibly sound reasonable to anyone. If they are perfect, and their environment is perfect what could have corrupted them that God did not plan to include and was not also perfectly part of his image of the universe? The thing that corrupted man could not be anything he would not have intended to be part of the universe unless he himself is imperfect.

How else could a perfect being in a perfect world be anything except exactly what the perfect creator intended? There is no way. God intentionally created the universe in such a way that his creation is unable to live up to his standards and will be punished. They will be punished simply for being created by the being who will be punishing them. How is that fair and just? No man asked to be a sinner, but all men are anyways.

This means that God's word is not a reasonable moral authority. In fact, not only is it not a 'reasonable moral authority' it is an IMMORAL authority. He claims to be perfect and that his laws are reasonable. As the creator he decides who will be punished, but his Word states that there will be, and have been, humans punished for behaving exactly as he intended for them to. There is nothing just or moral about such actions.

One last side note, Atheist means have a personal relationship with reality.

...and you just posted an essay, I'll get back to it tomorrow...

An Octopus
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

HA. No.

Post by An Octopus » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Dominum wrote:
Definition of STUPID:
a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

It seems to me as if all of these apply to you, Slick. Honestly buddy, no one likes trolls and throwing religion into the mix in most anything is going to cause things to escalate exponentially. You have NO justification to attack Christianity in such a low manner. It's people like you that cause tensions between various faiths (or lack thereof). You had to have known that you were going to offend a multitude of people, and honestly I don't get it, but then again. I'm not the stupid one here.
ImagePH2 Vet. , Op. Guardian Vet.

slickridley
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: HA. No.

Post by slickridley » Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 pm

An Octopus wrote:
Dominum wrote:
Definition of STUPID:
a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

It seems to me as if all of these apply to you, Slick. Honestly buddy, no one likes trolls and throwing religion into the mix in most anything is going to cause things to escalate exponentially. You have NO justification to attack Christianity in such a low manner. It's people like you that cause tensions between various faiths (or lack thereof). You had to have known that you were going to offend a multitude of people, and honestly I don't get it, but then again. I'm not the stupid one here.
When Christians attack my friends, they should expect some blowback.

An Octopus
F.N.G.
F.N.G.

Re: HA. No.

Post by An Octopus » Wed May 04, 2011 11:10 pm

slickridley wrote:
When Christians attack my friends, they should expect some blowback.
Okay, please provide me with a quote from this thread where you were attacked.
ImagePH2 Vet. , Op. Guardian Vet.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Wed May 04, 2011 11:25 pm

What you fail to accept is that it is not God who created us to sin, he created us not to but in order for us to choose to do so we therefore had to be presented with choices in the first place. If he had made us without true free will then our relationship with him would be pointless and our existence futile, as love isn't so without choice. He did not create us imperfectly, he allowed us to become so after the fact. Again, had he not allowed it we would be no more than mindless biological machines. However, since we chose to defy him, he made a way for us to bridge the divide and once again be right with him. All we have to do is believe it and accept it. If what you said where the case it would be unjust, however you confuse the possession of foreknowledge of something with causing it to take place. Yes, God knew that we would choose to deny him and that we would be corrupted. The fact that he knew that we would choose hell does not mean that he cast us their. He has even gone so far as to offer us a way out of our foolishness. If he had created us, corrupted us, and then cast us into hell with us never having the choice to right ourselves then you would be entirely correct, however this is not the case. He is just because he leaves it entirely up to us whether or not we want to know him and his presence or not. It would be unjust of him not to allow us to choose to do so. The bad news is that this means we also may choose not to, but since it is not forced upon us, it can not be called unjust.
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 pm

Dom I must say you and I must get together and talk sometime because you have done a better job at presenting Biblical facts then my past Bible class teachers of a private school that I attended for 10 years! Have you ever considered teaching?

Chippy
I do in fact have a life.

Post by Chippy » Wed May 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Quit talking about me mum!

...now that that is out there...

In reference to everything that involves homosexuality in this thread...

As most of us probably know, homosexuality has been proven to be a genetic disorder. What makes it different from the other disorders? We don't go around discriminating against babies born with taysach's disease...

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Wed May 04, 2011 11:44 pm

I have too much of an ego for that, it would go to my head. If God calls me to it I will follow, but I do not think he would. I am still far from being a decent representation of what he calls us to be and would want to represent him better. Obviously pastors and Bible study leaders sin too, but I think if one is to minister to others one must be further along in their relationship with God than myself at the present time. I will say I have been listening to Dr. Stephen Davey on BBN (88.5 FM around Columbia) lately and have really enjoyed the insight he has. There have been a lot of times that he explained phrases or situations that don't make a whole lot of sense by giving it historical and linguistic context, afterwards I had a much better understanding of how exactly that part of scripture had been written and it's intention.
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:48 pm

I don't quite see how homosexuality can be attributed to a genetic disorder. I've known people who were straight then turned homosexual, and I've also known homosexual people who have turned straight. If homosexuality were a genetic disorder what gene controls it? In the past decade, if not more, scientists have mapped out the human genome and can identify almost every illness caused by a gene deformity. I'm not saying science is perfect and that it has all the answers but I'm sure if it were a genetic disorder there would be more news about it

Hotspur93
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Hotspur93 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:51 pm

I see what your saying Dom. I have always found that I come out more informed when things have been explained in a similar fashion as you stated, but I personally enjoy sitting down one on one with some and having a full on discussion on different subjects, nothing like arguments but legitimate discussions where valid facts and opinions are stated along with counter facts and opinions.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:01 am

Ahh, made a mistake. It has yet to be proven, but many scientists believe that it is caused by a gene. The evidence that does exist is not enough to come out and say that genes are the exact cause. A few have jumped the gun and concluded that genetics are the reason and that homosexuality is a disorder. Now that that is cleared up, listening to R. Kelly's song called the closet should partially explain why some seem to suddenly turn gay.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 am

Chippy wrote:Quit talking about me mum!

...now that that is out there...

In reference to everything that involves homosexuality in this thread...

As most of us probably know, homosexuality has been proven to be a genetic disorder. What makes it different from the other disorders? We don't go around discriminating against babies born with taysach's disease...
So it's a genetic disorder then? Who told you this was a proven and accepted fact? Even most of the secular scientific community is still fighting over whether or not it is genetic or environmental. Your statement that we all know this to be the case is nearly the equivalent of Al Gore giving his speech two years ago during a record low winter with the average global temperature having dropped for a decade straight and saying "The debate about global warming is over". If all mono zygote twins were the same sexual orientation as the other, you would have a pretty solid argument. Not a single study has ever found this to be the case, therefore it is not. You can still argue that genetics may make you predisposed to be more likely to be a homosexual, as there is much evidence to support this. The only problem then is that this same evidence, such as maternal lineage predisposition towards homosexuality in males, can just as easily be argued to be due to the environmental causes laid forth in the DSM IV. So the evidence points both ways, depending on how you choose to interpret it. Saying it is a known and proven fact is an extremely poorly informed statement. I happen to think it is environmental, but as conclusive as I see the evidence being to that end I can not claim it to be a well known fact when the scientific community is so heavily divided over it. Here is just one such reference Google found me: http://allpsych.com/journal/homosexuality.html
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 am

Do realize that I corrected myself.

An I found this quite interesting...

http://m.discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/born-gay

Not sure how the webpage will pull up on a computer since I'm on my phone.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Thu May 05, 2011 12:52 am

Sorry, by the time I put that together and posted it you had already posted a response to Hotspur.
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

slickridley
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by slickridley » Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 am

Dominum wrote: Slick, though you may vehemently disagree with my set of beliefs, calling them stupid (or calling me stupid for holding them) is something that can only be claimed by someone either extremely poorly informed or who simply has not considered the question thoroughly. The question being of course the ultimate one; "why?" ................. I think that if we are honest with ourselves and consider things as they are, this is really the only conclusion that makes any ultimate sense.
There is a lot of fluff in this post, most of which is you describing why you should be considered an authority figure on christianity. I don't want to turn you off of discussion but this wall of text is really hard to read and is not laid out in such a way that someone can reply to individual arguments. I am going to reformat what you said so that it is easier to parse and discuss, I will attempt to preserve your original meaning in everything I reply to. Since you claim that you view point is very logical I will refer you to this [http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/] list of logical fallacies as they are very convenient when having rational discussions which I will refer back to occasionally. I'd like to be able to discuss your opinion so I will point out the sections I don't feel are possible to respond to in hopes you will elaborate on them.

I am also going to speak as if I presume he exists in some places, this does not imply I do. It is sometimes more convenient to discuss a subject you disagree on when you suspend your disbelief for a moment.
Dominum wrote: "We all inherently know that there is/must be something/someone that created everything."
You are 'begging the question' by assuming everyone believes what you do. I don't consider this statement to be true and there are many other people who do not believe in a creator of the universe. This is also an 'appeal to populace;' it doesn't matter if everyone except me believes something, that doesn't make it true.

Dominum wrote: "People often attribute the universe to happenstance, and matter and energy as somehow coming into existence just "because". However, the very fact that there are innumerable laws (yes, laws. Mathematical principles that literally govern the physical universe without wavering. They can and are calculated and observed) in and of themselves denote that there had to have been (ergo must be) some engineer to have put the laws in place."
This may seem nit-picky, but the mathematical principles by which we describe natural phenomenon do not govern the universe, they are governed BY the universe. We attempt to match them as close to natural observations as we can. To be called a 'law' in Math and Science only means that something has been shown to be correct in the majority of observed situations. Generally however, they are still incorrect, or more precisely, inaccurate. For example the 'law of gravity' is close to reality but is actually only useful for very simple situations. It says that object with mass to tend towards each other based on their distance, but relativity shows that their relative velocity, among other forces, also impacts their mutual pulls. I mention this to indicate that just because something has a mathematical relation that has be codified as 'law' does not mean it is a panacea.

Here you also jump from your assertion about the physics laws of the universe, to the idea that being so consistent means that they were created. Thats quite a jump of logic, I'd appreciate if you expand on how you made it, as is you have provided no evidence that one leads to the other.

Dominum wrote: "If you happen upon something as simple as a hammer in the woods, you would be crazy to assume that it made itself from chance… …Even if you argued it's appearance by happenstance, you could not deny the physical laws that had to be in place for that to have occurred"
This can be interpreted many ways, but I assume that creating itself by chance you mean: Its far more logical to assume the hammer was manufactured and placed in the woods then to assume the independent elements of a hammer [metal, wood] by sheer chance formed into the appropriate shapes and were forced together. This I agree on and anyone would, however it fails to be relevant and is a bit of a 'red herring' since you are not proving a point with this.

Dominum wrote: "Therefore anyone … must conclude from a purely empirical basis that there is a "God" of some kind. We then move on…"
There is a huge difference between 'hammers are manufactured' and 'god exists' and you made no effort to bridge them. The text i replaced with '…' in no way supports your point as you are just reiterating how correct you think you opinions are.
Dominum wrote: "to the question of who is this creator, what is his nature, and why were me created by him? This is a much more difficult question to answer."
Indeed…

Dominum wrote: "However, if it were as simple as anyone and everyone's beleifs being equally valid, or there being nothing to believe in, then there would be no reason for us to have been engineered with an innate sense of self awareness and an unquenchable desire to know why."
There is no innate desire in people who don't believe in god as to why such a being would do so. There are similar questions people may have, such as why do physics behave as they do but this is not the same nor does it imply they believe God is behind it. None of this was particularly relevant.

Dominum wrote: "There are many, many religions and sets of beliefs that don't call themselves "religion", but exist so as to answer the same question. I found … "
Here you discuss your research about religions but provide no evidence for what you say. Sorry, but no matter what authority you are you must back up such research with evidence or it is worthless. All of this is hearsay and none of it is a rational basis on which to stack a logical argument.

Dominum wrote: " In order to even presume that we exist we must first accept that there are, in fact, absolutes. Then we must decide whether or not we believe in moral absolutes."
These are two very deep philosophy questions "do we exist" and "are there moral absolutes." People have debated this for millennium. You have not provided a reason to believe either way and there is much reading on this. So again you have not provided any reasons to believe in the christian god nor provided anything to discuss since its all opinion.

Dominum wrote: "God is perfect, as the genesis of all of reality he himself is the definition of perfection and completion."
I discuss his perfection in my previous post. So please see that for my arguments.

Dominum wrote: "He has to be, as the only logical derivation is that since he made what we perceive he must predate and supersede it."
This is very hard to interpret can you please reiterate it?

Dominum wrote: "Therefore he not only sets the standard, he is the standard. If he did not make a moral law, then we are simply here to do what? Have a good time? Have a bad time? What then? Clearly he has given us free will."
Here you jump from one topic to another without using logic to bridge them. You have not established that he is a standard or that he sets it but merely claim that is true.

Next you ask the age old question "what is the meaning of life." Clearly you feel that God gives it meaning. However, that we can 'have a good time' does not lead into whether or not we have free will. Look at that sentence this way: "We can have a good time or a bad time, therefor we have free will." This is clearly a huge leap.
Dominum wrote: " Free will is useless without choices to make with it."
This is a very pragmatic point. What is the point of free will ( assuming we have it) if there are no choices to be made.

Dominum wrote: "Therefore he has a standard and this allows us an option as to whether or not to follow it. So, we can presuppose he has a moral law that he wishes us to aspire to."
Unfortunately, you follow it up with another huge leap. What does the usefulness of free will have to do with whether or not god has moral standards? You have not established that but then assume its true and continue.

The next few sentences make similar leaps and are skipped.

Moving on:
Dominum wrote: "Were he to heal all Christians who were faithful and not let any earthly harm come to them, what then would be the purpose of seeking God yourself? People would see this and convert out of self preservation."
As far as converting out of self preservation:

What is the difference between showing people you can heal in order to do this verses telling them they are bad (sinners) and that they must convert or they will be punished?

Dominum wrote: " God allows us (all people, those saved and those not) to experience the universe in whatever manner we will. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes it is great. However, due to this open ended experience we are left to truly choose for ourselves on an individual level whether or not we want to know him and accept his truth."
I don't see how experiencing good and bad in the world should tell us anything about god other then that he allows both to occur. Whether or not He has told the truth or lied has nothing to do with the good or bad that is happening unless he had something to do with both…

Dominum wrote: "We cannot succeed if we are not allowed to fail;"
Sort of. We can not feel successful if we did not accomplish the task on our own with autonomy. However, as laid out in my previous post it is not clear that pure autonomy is possible when you have a creator controlling your body's design and your environment. So how can we truly choose God if we are incapable of making unbiased decisions? The environment we exist in and the manner in which our brain functions has massive implications for the decisions we make and if God created all then he is influencing us whether we 'choose' him or 'choose' NOT him.

Dominum wrote: "love isn't love if it is forced."
I agree on that, but your implication that gods love is not forced is still up for debate. That we have free will is still widely contested and I have yet to hear a good argument either way. In order for gods love to be pure, he would have to not influence us in any way other then giving us his story. But since He created the universe its rather hard to avoid biasing us. My previous post discusses his influence some and I reference you back to it again.

Dominum wrote: "… having already concluded that he has absolute moral laws which we are in breach of, and operating under the truth that we are not God and thus cannot be perfect of our own accord; we must then conclude that he will make a way by which we can do so."
You are asserting claims that you have not provided reasons for, we have not concluded that there is absolute moral law, nor that he is qualified to make them. As such, even if it was logical to conclude that he would provide a way to get around our supposed lack of moral making abilities, you have not established it something he should be doing. I discuss his eligibility as a morality definer in my previous post.

Dominum wrote: "…What we must also understand is that no matter how horrible we perceive something to be (emotional or physical pain) it is inconsequential to an eternity either apart from God, or with God. It really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things."
As someone who does not believe in eternal life, horrible events that take place are VERY important. Without the belief in God, people who do not find such things important can seem very disturbing. Eg, littering and wasting natural resources may to some [not necessarily you] as being of little importance since this world is not forever, but to someone who considers their life and their children's life to be a huge chuck of the time, such behavior will be very appalling. A disinterest in the events of the world does not appear healthy to someone who does not feel that life is only preparation for the afterlife.

Dominum wrote: "I ask you to take a moment to examine this string of deductions and decide if you think I am being unintelligent or careless in my analysis of the facts with which our reality presents itself."
Again, I don't want to turn you off from debate, but I really feel you should read some books on formal scientific debate and reasoning. It is a different way of conversing compared to casual discussions and can be a very fulfilling way to share beliefs and deductions. I wont claim that this post is without fallacies and made of the purest logic, but I attempted to keep leaps of faith and the use of uncommon knowledge to a minimum.

edit:bbcodes for easier reading
Last edited by slickridley on Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.