POLL: Sniper Competition

The this and that of airsoft.

Would you attend an AOSC sanctioned Sniper Competition?

Yes, I would attend
57%
Maybe
43%

Total votes: 21

Tanker
I do in fact have a life.

POLL: Sniper Competition

Post by Tanker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

A recent project of mine has been designing an annual AOSC Sniper Competition. After doing some research, many airsoft vets assured me that it may not be worth the AOSC's time since usually less than 6 or so teams show up. But, I also discovered that the AOSC has brought in a new crowd that may have more contenders. Here's some info on the competition if we decide to go with it.

The teams would consist of the following:

1 Sniper
1 Spotter

This would be a scored sniper competition, having multiple events that award points based on a teams performance in the event. A winner will be decided by who has the highest cumulative score. (Example: Sniper Primary Shooting in the Prone Position (Supported) at X sized target at X distance)

Requirements:

To ensure realism, there would be a minimum length on the Sniper's Primary outer barrel.

A bi pod or sandbag, since the prone postion will be supported.

At least one member of the team must carry a sidearm (Pistol) that is capable of shooting semi-auto.

Magnifying Optics. You may use your Scope, but Binoculars would be preferred.

Ghillie Suit. You may make it on site, as long as you have it at the start of the Inf ultration Event.

Clipboard and paper or similar note taking device.

Other details:

We hope to have a retired SEAL Sniper team member on site to advise my staff and I, as well as assist in judging.

There will be a participation gift (Arc, patch, something along those lines) as well as a reward for the top team.

This will be a true competition. Besides the shooting comp, teams will wait and compete at each event one by one. Other teams are not allowed on or near the event area while a team is competing. We will probably allow pick up games after the event, but until then, be prepared to sit around the parking area until your time comes.

This is the basics right now, if you have any questions feel free to post them up here. If you have suggestions, please PM me.

82dcustomer
I love forums!
I love forums!

Re: POLL: Sniper Competition

Post by 82dcustomer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:14 am

Just to clarify I never said it wouldn't be worth your time, just be ready to hold it for small amounts of people.

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:44 pm

I'd do it if it was open to solo operators, since I don't have spotter.

A couple of questions:

Is this going to be like the Top Sniper Comp? i.e. a mix of stalk, urban op, etc.
Why the minimum barrel length? 

The sniper comp I did before I moved here is my all time favorite event. Definitely the most rewarding, challenging and exhausting event. Unfortunately, I've missed all of Mike's since moving here because of work.

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:54 pm

Spotters are extremely important.

Although a lone wolf competition would sound pretty cool...
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.

Tanker

Post by Tanker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm

82dcustomer wrote: Just to clarify I never said it wouldn't be worth your time, just be ready to hold it for small amounts of people.
I understand, but you're not the only guy I've talked to. I have a few connections In Michigan, Oregon and Georgia that I've talked to as well. They're not as organized as SC and NC, but have roughly the same amount of players showing up at their larger games.
Mack wrote: I'd do it if it was open to solo operators, since I don't have spotter.
I know a couple of guys who want to attend, but are only capable of being spotters. If you want I can recommend the best and y'all may be able to work something out. Practice at upcoming games together maybe?
Mack wrote: Is this going to be like the Top Sniper Comp? i.e. a mix of stalk, urban op, etc.
Why the minimum barrel length? 
I admit, I have taken notes from Top Sniper, and some events will mimic the events at Top Sniper, but it's going to be simple. I'm thinking along these lines:

Shotting Event:
Sniper Primary at 3 different distances (Prone)
Spotter Primary at 3 different distances (Prone)
Sidearm at 3 different distances (Standing)

Recon Event:
Still working on it, but we're thinking of having the team move to an OP with limited time. Once there, they observe an OpFor unit moving through the AO. They will have to record certain things such as # of personnel, arms, special objects, etc.

Infiltration Event:
Working with my SEAL buddy on this one still. Something along the lines of Top Sniper. Move toward the observer's' position and hit a target without being seen.

Urban Defence Event:
We may not do this on, (depends on the field) but if we do, the team will be put in a structure with OpFor attacking from only one direction. The team will have to hold the position for a certain amount of time. After than time has elapsed, they will have to fall back to an extraction zone.
If we have the right field, I'm sure it won't be as above, but it'll be along those lines.

Tie Breaker:
Have the tied teams take each other on in a classic deathmatch.
Mack wrote: Why the minimum barrel length? 
I understand that in airsoft, the gun doesn't exactly determine the range. But I want this to have a certain level of realism. I have seen an MP5 with a covered extended barrel get a range of roughly 170 feet. But I think it would take the buzz away if you're lined up with your SR25, VSR10, etc. and that MP5 lines up next to you. The minimum outer barrel length will ensure that only weapons that are used by today's Recon/Sniper teams will be used. (i.e. long arms and some bullpups)

Ociffer Action
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by Ociffer Action » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:08 pm

That would be fun, but I don't have a ghillie.
"Don't like cops? Just remember the cop that gives you a ticket in the morning could be the same cop that gives you his life that night."
- Anonymous

Mack
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Mack » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the barrel length, it makes sense.

Idea of when this may take place?

PM inbound with some additional stuff.
Last edited by Mack on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felix
AJAXian
AJAXian

Post by Felix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I could have a team or two, issue is no sniper weapon. I'm gussing asking to borrow just to show skills may be out of the question?
[align=center]Delta Bravo Niner
Image[/align]

IronChef

Post by IronChef » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 pm

gastonia police dept is having their annual sniper/sharshooter comp this weekend...its open to the publuic fri and sat i think. may be worth the drive to see a real steel version! i would like to try to make it..but work and sports practice is gonna intereferre
When you definitely need it killed overnight...
[img width=450 height=150]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj14 ... rsmall.jpg[/img]

Tanker

Post by Tanker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm

MudvayneProphet wrote: That would be fun, but I don't have a ghillie.
It just takes some $ and a weekend to make one. As long as you make a base, you can put the finishing touches at the field, which is a wise thing to do.
Mack wrote: Idea of when this may take place?
Early next year. Late January to March is what we're looking at right now. I havn't contacted any field owners yet.
Felix wrote: I could have a team or two, issue is no sniper weapon. I'm gussing asking to borrow just to show skills may be out of the question?
It's totally cool man. I don't care how you do it. As long as you have the required items, you're good to go. If you're interested in building a sniper weapon, I believe Dominum has a TM G3 and a M16 (I don't know what brand) that are good base weapons and may come with some upgrades. Send him a PM.
IronChef wrote: gastonia police dept is having their annual sniper/sharshooter comp this weekend...its open to the publuic fri and sat i think. may be worth the drive to see a real steel version! i would like to try to make it..but work and sports practice is gonna intereferre
Dang, wish I had known about this earlier. That's alright, I'll be attending my first Hanger 18 game, looking forward to that this weekend.

I appriciate y'alls interest, and it looks like I may go thru with this.

Crazy
I like this place!
I like this place!

Post by Crazy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 am

Sweet Let me know when an where.
[img width=650 height=162]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6894/trialcrazy.png[/img]
CHECK US OUT AT www.myspace.com/airsoftsc
locked, loaded, one shot one kill. Shoot YOU later...
OP DeepScar 3: Nemisis Vet.
Operation Crossfire Vet.
Blue RAIN Hole Vet. LOL
Operation Dessert Crucible Vet.

Tanker

Post by Tanker » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am

It's lookin like a go now you guys. Just to let y'all know, I have some family stuff to deal with, so I'll be in Puerto Rico for the next week. So don't be hurt if I don't reply to questions or suggestions during this next week.

Dominum
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dominum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:00 am

To clarify, both bolt actions and DMRs will be allowed? I assume anything over 450 or 500 FPS qualifies?
PRincess and jsts ghost CERTIFIED "Tier 1 Operator"
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Searching for my goats since 2009"
"All you have done here is take the typical leftist line and regurgitate it in a barely palatable,
quasi poetic, pseudo intellectual format. Quite frankly, that makes you a moron."[/align]
  ▲
▲ ▲
[align=center]V[/align]

Cody C.
Here for a while...
Here for a while...

Post by Cody C. » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Me and Josh Fetter, (30k), would most definately be there. Sounds like itll be fun and challenging. Me and Josh can finally put those skills we picked up from 82nd to use.

The two sniper competitions we went to about four teams showed up. There are not that many people willing to go to these events from what ive seen. But it may be different in SC than in NC.  
Still sounds like itll be worth it to me.
GOAT

splatmaster
I love forums!
I love forums!

Post by splatmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:10 pm

I wouldn't require Ghillies. Last sniper comp in NC the only team that WASN'T spotted on the stalk was the team without ghillies.
I'm like the internet version of that awesome uncle you always thought did drugs but could never prove.